Recipe and photos courtesy of Jessi Heggan, Jessi’s Kitchen
Fall is the perfect time for soups, broths, chili, and stews. Our Discover Blog is loaded with a wide variety of these seasonal favorites. This wonderful White Chicken Chili Recipe comes from Jessi Heggan of Jessi’s Kitchen.
“This Dairy-free White Bean Chicken Chili has been in the works for several months now. I have tested many different flavors and variations before finally landing on this recipe.
Recreating a classic, dairy filled recipe can be kind of hard sometimes and you really have to make sure that the flavors of the dish are really really good. Well I am here to tell you that the flavor of this soup is pretty freaking awesome. Not trying to brag or anything….” ~ Jessi Heggan, Jessi’s Kitchen
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced (approximately 2 cups)
- 1 green pepper, diced (approximately 1 cup)
- 2 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 cans northern beans, strained and rinsed
- 2 cans green chiles (4 ounce cans)
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- ¾ cup coconut cream (thick part on top of one can of coconut milk)
- 4 cups chicken bone broth or stock
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- Heat oil in a large pot and add the onion and peppers and sauté for 5 minutes,
- Add the garlic, salt and cumin and cook until fragrant. About 1 minute.
- Add the northern beans, green chiles, and salsa and stir to combine.
- Add the coconut milk and cream and stir until combined and then pour in the broth.
- Put a lid on the pot and let simmer for about 20 minutes and then add the cooked shredded chicken and the fresh cilantro. Cook for 5 more minutes and then taste the soup and adjust the salt if necessary. Serve while hot.
Meet The Chef
Our thanks to Jessi Heggan of Jessi’s Kitchen for sharing this wonderful recipe. At Jessi’s Kitchen, you will find a mixture of gluten free, paleo friendly, vegan, vegetarian and probably some delicious cocktails to try. Visit Jessi’s Kitchen for recipes, home/lifestyle, and beauty tips.