In my previous article, you discovered the myriad benefits of staying well-hydrated, including increased energy levels, slower physical aging, and a reduced risk of common chronic ailments.
However, our journey towards better health doesn’t end with simply consuming more water… the quality of the water we drink also plays a crucial role.
Water can harbor various contaminants, ranging from heavy metals like lead and arsenic to insidious microplastics that can meddle with our hormones. Thankfully, water filters step in as our allies, ensuring that clean and healthy water flows straight from the tap.
In this article, you’ll learn about the various water filtration methods and key benefits of leading brands to help you make an empowered decision toward optimized hydration.
Water Filters: Your Path to Optimized Hydration and Improved Health
By: Kelley Herring
Affordable Water Filters for Your Health
When it comes to water filters that won’t break the bank, activated carbon filters are an excellent choice. These filters use activated carbon to absorb impurities and improve the taste and odor of your water. They’re effective at removing organic matter, volatile organic compounds, chlorine, and more, as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends.I
Ion exchange filters also offer a great bang for your buck. By passing water through the synthetic resin, these filters exchange harmful charged ions in the water with harmless ones on the surface of the resin. This process is especially useful for removing contaminants like arsenic, chromium, and cyanide.
If you’re looking for a highly-rated water filter that consistently impresses users, consider the Big Berkey. This countertop system is known for its exceptional filtration capabilities, removing a wide range of impurities, including heavy metals, bacteria, and viruses. It’s a top choice for those seeking the best in water purification and convenience.
The Lifestraw Home Dispenser is another top performer in the world of water filters. This gravity-fed system not only purifies your water but also adds minerals back into it for improved taste. Its sleek design and impressive functionality make it a favorite among health-conscious individuals.
Choosing the Right Water Filter for Health Benefits
To make an informed choice, it’s crucial to understand the different types of water filters and their health benefits:
- Activated Carbon Filters: Ideal for improving taste and odor by removing organic matter, volatile organic compounds, and chlorine.
- Ion Exchange Filters: Effective against arsenic, chromium, and cyanide contaminants.
- Reverse Osmosis (RO) Filters: Remove heavy metals, bacteria, and viruses by forcing water through semipermeable filters. While RO membranes are incredibly efficient at eliminating impurities, they also remove essential minerals like calcium and magnesium. Several scientific studies have highlighted concerns regarding the demineralization effect of RO water, which may contribute to mineral imbalances in the diet, potentially affecting bone health and cardiovascular function.II
- Mechanical Filters: Trap larger particles such as sand, silt, and organic matter.
- UV Filters: Disinfect water by using ultraviolet light to reduce bacteria, protozoa, and viruses.
And now, let’s delve deeper into how these filtration methods can also offer health benefits through:
- Reintroducing Essential Minerals: While some filtration methods can remove minerals from water, certain systems, like OPHORA’s Bio-Renew or Lifestraw, actively reintroduce essential minerals back into the purified water.
- Elevating pH: Many filtration systems, including the Bio-Renew System, have the capability to elevate the pH level of the water to a range of 8.0-8.5. This slightly alkaline pH is believed to have potential health benefits, such as aiding in neutralizing excess acidity in the body and promoting better hydration and overall well-being.
- Water Restructuring for Cellular Hydration: Advanced water restructuring technology, as found in systems like the Bio-Renew, aims to transform the molecular structure of water, making it easier for the body’s cells to absorb. This promotes cellular hydration, which is essential for various bodily functions, including nutrient absorption and waste removal.III The structured water produced closely resembles the properties of water found in pristine mountain springs, where it is believed to be in its most natural and beneficial form.
By considering these additional health benefits, you can tailor your filter selection to align with your specific health goals and preferences, ensuring that the water you consume not only quenches your thirst… but also contributes positively to your overall well-being.
Depending on your specific health goals and the contaminants present in your water supply, you can select the most suitable filter type to address your needs. It’s essential to check the list of contaminants each filter can remove or reduce to ensure it aligns with your health objectives.
Comparing Water Filters for Optimal Health
When it comes to choosing a water filter, the options can be overwhelming. To simplify your decision-making process, let’s compare some of the top brands known for delivering optimal health benefits:
- Big Berkey: Known for its exceptional filtration capabilities, it’s a top choice for those seeking the best in water purification.
- Lifestraw Home Dispenser: This gravity-fed system not only purifies your water but also enhances its taste by adding minerals back into it.
- Hydros Glass Slim Pitcher: Offers a convenient and eco-friendly way to enjoy filtered water with its sleek and modern design.
- Pure Effect Advanced Undersink Filtration System: Perfect for those who want a discreet and powerful filtration system that fits under the sink.
- Ophora OPHORA’s Bio-Renew Under the Counter System: Utilizes advanced technology to provide you with clean and revitalizing water from beneath your countertop.
Choosing the best water filter for your health involves considering filter types for your specific needs. By making an educated choice, you can enjoy clean and healthy water that doesn’t just hydrate… but also contributes to your vitality and longevity.
Water is essential to life, and We are excited to read Kelli Herring’s thoughts on the effectiveness of various home filtration systems. For great lifestyle suggestions and helpful tips, be sure to check out our US Wellness Meats blog!
Cook healthier meals in a fraction of the time with Kelley’s newest program Instant Pot Keto. Inside you’ll discover 100+ ketogenic recipes made with the magic of the Instant Pot, all designed to provide superior nutrition and metabolic balance. Get your copy of Instant Pot Keto today!
[I] Doré E, Formal C, Muhlen C, Williams D, Harmon S, Pham M, Triantafyllidou S, Lytle DA. Effectiveness of point-of-use and pitcher filters at removing lead phosphate nanoparticles from drinking water. Water Res. 2021 Aug 1;201:117285. doi: 10.1016/j.watres.2021.117285. Epub 2021 May 25. PMID: 34107361; PMCID: PMC8380470.
[II] Verma KC, Kushwaha AS. Demineralization of drinking water: Is it prudent? Med J Armed Forces India. 2014 Oct;70(4):377-9. doi: 10.1016/j.mjafi.2013.11.011. Epub 2014 Mar 6. PMID: 25382914; PMCID: PMC4223198.
[III] Lindinger MI. Structured water: effects on animals. J Anim Sci. 2021 May 1;99(5):skab063. doi: 10.1093/jas/skab063. PMID: 33640985; PMCID: PMC8153701.