With excellently crispy skins and juicy insides, these Vietnamese-style chicken wings provide a nutritional punch and unique flavor profile. July Featured Chef, Gil Butler, shares his secret to the deliciously crispy skins: toss them in baking powder prior to cooking. Gil “fries” these wings in the air fryer for about 20-30 minutes and then tosses them in a homemade sweet and salty fish sauce, avocado oil-fried garlic and peppers, and fresh cilantro and mint. What a combo! Are your taste buds excited yet?
US Wellness Meats pastured chicken wings and drumsticks are raised on nature’s grasses, legumes, and insects. Due to the chicken’s single stomach, they are supplemented with a non-GMO feed and are also antibiotic and hormone-free.
Check out Gil’s quick 7-minute video that demonstrates the ease of this recipe!
Vietnamese Chicken Wings
USWM Shopping List: US Wellness Meats Chicken Wings
- 2 lbs US Wellness Meats chicken wings, whole
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup honey (Paleo) or liquid allulose (Keto)
- 2 tbsp garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Fresno chili or red jalapeno, minced
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp mint, chopped
- Pat dry wings with a paper towel as much as possible
- Toss wings in baking powder, thoroughly coating them.
- Place in the air-fryer and fry for about 20 minutes, checking and tossing occasionally. When finished, they should be crispy and the internal temperature will read at least 165 degrees with a meat thermometer.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl whisk the fish sauce and sweetener and place in a small pot.
- Gently simmer the fish sauce until a thick glaze forms, set aside.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a small pan.
- Add the minced garlic and pepper.
- Fry over moderate heat until golden, about 3 minutes. Immediately remove from the pan to prevent residual heat from burning.
- When the wings are finished, pour the fish sauce reduction over them thoroughly and toss.
- Add the cilantro, mint, fried garlic, and fried pepper and toss thoroughly.
- Serve immediately.
Gil Butler, The Primal Chef, is a health-focused private chef in Los Angeles cooking for some of the highest-profile people around including business executives and celebrities. Gil specializes in ancestral-style foods for Paleo, Keto, Whole30, Bulletproof, Carnivore, AIP, gluten-free, allergy-free, and just overall healthy food.