Recipe and Photo by Katie Braswell | Wild + Well
Don’t pitch the carcass! Transform the leftover chicken carcass from yesterday’s whole chicken recipe into a gut-healing, gelatinous liquid that helps to reduce inflammation and cushion the joints. Holistic Nutritionist and January Featured Chef, Katie Braswell, delivers the most gelatinous bone broth, stewed low and slow with chicken carcass and feet, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, herbs, and spices.
The Most Gelatinous Bone Broth
Recipe and Photo By: Katie Braswell | Wild + Well
USWM Shopping List:
- 1 lb Chicken Feet
- 1 lb Chicken Carcass
- 1 lb USWM Chicken Feet
- 1 lb Chicken Carcass (USWM Whole Chicken)
- 1 Onion
- 1 Whole Garlic
- 2 Celery Stalks (cut in half)
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Carrots
- Handful of fresh herbs (I used parsley!)
- Add all ingredients to pot and cover with filtered water (we use the water from our Berkey).
- Bring pot to a boil and after boiling lower to a light simmer for 48 hours. If water starts to evaporate, add filtered water back in during the first 24 hours. After it has lightly simmered for 48 hours, strain out all ingredients over a mixing bowl.
- Divide broth among glass mason jars and store in the fridge for up to 8-10 days or in the freezer for several months (remember to fill the jars only ¾ full so they can freeze fine!). Look for the nice gelatinous broth and heat over stove daily and enjoy.
Nourish the soul with more recipes from our Discover Blog.
Katie Braswell, of Wild + Well, is a Holistic Nutritionist based in Boulder. She is passionate about working alongside women throughout their journey through childbirth, especially after her experiences with the birth of her son. Katie’s specific areas of interest are preconception health, fertility, prenatal nutrition and supplementation, gestational diabetes, breastfeeding and postpartum nutrition/care (focusing on nurturing mama and baby). She believes in meeting her clients where they are in their health journey to regain balance and vibrant health! You can connect with Katie at https://www.livewildbewell.com/contact or firstname.lastname@example.org.