Some of the toughest cuts of meat have the best flavor. That flavor only comes out if the meat is cooked to be tender. A tougher cut of meat that is cooked wrong tastes tough and terrible. A tougher cut of meat that is cooked to be tender is wonderful.
Short ribs are such a cut. Cook them wrong, and even the best short ribs will be horrible. Cook them right, and you will love the rich beefy flavor, enhanced by the bone, and the tenderness of the meat. Cooking short ribs is not complicated or difficult. This recipe is so easy and so delicious. The ribs and the onions provide all the liquid needed to cook the meat, and give you a delicious gravy. The ribs come out tender, and their great natural flavor is awesome. I like to use U.S. Wellness Meats short ribs for this dish.
- 2 pounds U.S. Wellness grassfed short ribs
- 2 large organic onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika, (organic, or imported from Spain or Hungary)
- 4 cloves organic garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground organic black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse natural sea salt, crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
2. Wash the short ribs with filtered water. Go over them with your fingers to make sure that any bone fragments have been removed. Cut the pieces into individual ribs, leaving the meat attached to the bone.
3. Combine 1 teaspoon of the paprika with the garlic and the pepper. Rub this mixture all over the meat.
4. Place the short ribs in a cast iron casserole (enameled cast iron is also fine), resting on the flat, narrow edge of the bone, so they are standing up, crowded together.
5. Place the chopped onions on top of the short ribs. Sprinkle the salt and the remaining teaspoon of paprika over the onions.
6. Cover the casserole, place in the preheated oven, and cook for 2 hours. Test the ribs for doneness. They are done when easily pierced with a fork. If they are not done, return to the oven and continue checking at ten minute intervals.
Enjoy the tender, flavorful meat.
Thanks to Stanley for sharing this great recipe! All of us here at US Wellness Meats have truly enjoyed his cookbook!