With Fall festivities just around the corner, we have a spicy treat from August 2018 Featured Chef, Ellie O’Brien. Ellie shares her Spicy Korean Chili with Kimchi recipe featuring 100% grass-fed ground beef for those evenings when you need some spice in your life!
Recipe Author: Ellie O’Brien of Hungry By Nature
USWM Shopping List: 85% Lean, Grass-fed, Grass-finished Ground Beef
PHOTO CREDIT: Ellie O’Brien/Hungry By Nature
- 1 pound 85% lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup kimchi
- ⅛ cup gochugaru (Korean chili powder)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 1 (14 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 chipotle pepper from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
Toppings: coconut yogurt, scallions
Instructions For Korean Chili:
- Brown the ground beef over medium-high heat in a large pot, and season with salt and pepper. Saute until cooked through. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pan with the remaining fat and cook over medium-high heat until soft. Add the garlic and kimchi and cook 2 minutes. Add the gochugaru and cumin – cook another 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of veggie stock, scraping up any brown bits. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-high and cook until reduced and thickened – approximately 10 minutes.
- Return the beef to the pot and add the sweet potato, remaining veggie stock, tomato sauce and chipotle pepper, and 1¼ teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered for 20-30 minutes – until you have reached the desired consistency.
- Serve with coconut yogurt and scallions.
Meet The Chef:
Ellie O’Brien is the food blogger behind Hungry By Nature — a gluten-free and paleo food blog dedicated to inspiring others to live a healthy and balanced life, starting in the kitchen! Having been diagnosed with multiple autoimmune diseases, she made transformative changes to her diet. She has recently launched a new gluten-free and grain-free granola company — also called Hungry By Nature!