Jared Veldheer is most recently known as the “lunch dad” at his children’s middle school in Grand Rapids, Michigan. In past years, Jared competed as an NFL offensive lineman, and discovered the importance of mindful, healthy eating. Jared is on a mission to nourish middle schoolers with nutrient-dense foods that have proven themselves superior to conventional alternatives.
We are excited to partner with Jared as November Featured Chef; check out his delicious smoked tri-tip recipe below!
US Wellness Shopping List: Beef Tri-Tip Roast
- Beef Tri-Tip Roast
- Granulated garlic
- Preheat smoker to the lowest setting possible (if no smoker is available pre-heat oven to the lowest temperature.)
- Coat grass-fed tri-tip liberally with salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Smoke (or bake) the tri-tip until the internal temperature reaches 135°F.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet or grill to the highest possible heat.
- Sear tri-tip for 3 minutes per side on the grill or in a skillet.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Carefully slice against the grain (this can be tricky with tri-tip! Consult YouTube if you have never done this.) This is a critical step for optimal texture and tenderness.
After 11 years in the NFL, Jared Veldheer gained an understanding and appreciation for wholesome nutrition. Grass-fed, pastured meat became a staple for him to be able to maintain a weight of 330 pounds while being as fit and healthy as possible. Since retiring from his offensive lineman position, Jared has served as the “Lunch Dad” at his children’s middle school in Grand Rapids, Michigan.