Feeding a crowd has never been easier! June 2022 Featured Chef, Annika Duden, has developed this flavorful taco recipe that serves and pleases a variety of taste preferences.
Created to nourish us from the inside, these Slow Cooker Carnitas Tacos are filled with US Wellness Meats pork shoulder that falls apart after 8-10 hours in the crockpot. Choose nourishing tortillas and top with high-quality toppings like avocado, homemade pico, and our raw cheeses.
Serve these delectable tacos at your next summer gathering, or make them ahead for your family to enjoy throughout the week. Annika, thanks for sharing this awesome recipe!
Slow Cooker Carnitas Tacos
Recipe & Photos by Annika Duden | @iamannikanicole
USWM Shopping List: Pork Shoulder Roast, Raw Cheese – Cheddar or Monterey
Prep & Cook Time: 8 hours
- 3lb pork shoulder from US Wellness Meats
- 1 onion white or yellow onion, finely sliced long-ways
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp salt
- Juice of 2 oranges or 2/3 cup orange juice
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lime
- Raw Cheese (Cheddar or Monterey Jack)
- Sour Cream
- Pico or salsa
- Lime wedges
- Fresh or pickled jalapeños
- Corn Tortillas (Annika likes the brand Food For Life’s sprouted corn tortillas because they don’t use any rancid PUFA oils)
- Place the pork in a slow cooker
- Add all of the ingredients, besides the pork and onions, to a mixing bowl and stir until fully incorporated
- Cover the pork with the sauce mixture and then the sliced onions
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours, shredding when there are about 2 hours left of cooking time
- When the pork has finished cooking, assemble the tacos by putting meat in the tortilla shells, and adding toppings of choice. Enjoy!
You can also cook this dish in a covered glass or ceramic container in the oven on low at 250° F for 8-10 hours and get the same result.
Browse the US Wellness Blog for more tasty, nourishing recipes!
Annika Duden is a women’s health nutritionist specializing in HTMA (Hair, Tissue, Mineral Analysis). She has a passion for creating recipes that focus on real food nutrition. Annika offers a FREE Hormones 101 e-book on her website, Built From Bones. She also has many of her favorite recipes in her cookbooks, “Med-abolic” and “Harvest.” Join her Wild + Well-fed community for support and encouragement as she offers guidance to women on their healing journeys.