This appetizer will bring the party to your slow cooker. Serve this over riced cauliflower for a delicious meal. Look close…there’s a super secret ingredient in these BBQ meatballs.
Recipe Author: Carolyn Ketchum from her new Everday Ketogenic Kitchen Cookbook
Servings: Serves 12 (approx. 36 meatballs)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 to 4 hours
- 1 lb 75% lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 3/4 cup crushed pork rinds
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil, divided
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork, pork rinds, eggs, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well and use your hands to form into 1-inch balls, about 36 total.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the avocado oil until shimmering. Add half of the meatballs and brown on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer the meatballs to a large slow cooker. Repeat with the remaining oil and meatballs.
- Pour the BBQ sauce over the meatballs and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, until the meatballs reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Serve with the sauce from the slow cooker and garnish with parsley, if desired.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The can be reheated in a saucepan on the stove or in the microwave.
Meatballs can be browned and then frozen after step 2. Keep these in a freezer bag or other airtight container for up to a month. Thaw thoroughly before proceeding to the slow cooker step.
Carolyn Ketchum’s new cookbook, The Everyday Ketogenic Kitchen is a treasure trove of inspirational ketogenic friendly recipes, tips and kitchen knowledge.