Tongue can be a little disturbing to look at, but it is so delicious, it’s worth getting over your reservations! The meat is rich and has great texture. If you don’t tell anyone what they are eating, you will get are compliments!
Slow-Cooked Beef Tongue Tacos
1 U.S. Wellness Meats beef tongue
1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 large carrots, roughly chopped
2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 jalapeño or other chili, chopped
1 lemon (peeled, use only the peel)
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp pepper
6 cups water
- Combine all the ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cook for 10-12 hours. The tongue should be easily pierced with a pairing knife when it’s done.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- When the tongue is cool enough to handle peel off the rough outer tongue skin. Get it started using a knife, and from there, it should come away from the meat easily. Trim some of the fat from the underside of the tongue as well.
- Finally, I slice or cube the meat and sear it in a smoking hot cast iron pan. As long as you don’t over crowd the pan, you’ll end up with crispy tender juicy nuggets.
Serve meat in tacos–add avocado, red cabbage, pickled onions, or anything else that speaks to you.
This beef tongue is also great with rice and beans, in a salad, or just plain—it’s delicious!
Find more Beef Tongue Recipes or visit our Discover Blog for more recipe inspiration.