Every meat eater has their favorite steak. The NY Strip Steak is a classic cut from the short loin and is the choice of many steak lovers due to it’s exceptional tenderness. Delmonico’s Restaurant in NYC made the short loin cut famous. Depending on the area your in, it may also be known as the KC Strip, or the Ambassador. Featured Chef Danny Sterling prepares this grass-fed Red Wine Grilled Strip to perfection. Enjoy!
Recipe Author: Danny Sterling | Cumberland Heritage
USWM Shopping List: NY Strip Steak or Delmonico, Beef Tallow
PHOTO CREDIT: Red Wine Grilled NY Strip by Danny Sterling | Cumberland Heritage
- 14oz USWM Beef large strip steak
- 8oz of red wine
- 1oz sliced shallots
- 2oz sliced garlic
- 4 sprigs of thyme
Instructions For Red Wine Grilled Strip
- Pre-make the marinade ahead of time and get ice cold with out freezing.
- Pre-heat grill to high heat (I like to use natural organic charcoal)
- Marinate beef in red wine for 30 minutes.
- Remove from marinate and place directly on the grill (I like to spray mine with a little beef fat right before I place on the grill)
- Grill for one to two minutes until color is starting to form.
- Once the grilled side of the meat has good color, drop back into the ice cold marinade.
- Let sit for one to two minutes.
- Now grill the other side and repeat steps 4-7 two more times.
- Depending on thickness of steaks, you may need to put in the oven for a few minutes at 275°F.
- Allow the steak to rest for 5-10 minutes on a roasting rack before serving.
For Steak Vinaigrette
- Pan drippings from rested steak
- ½ cup USWM Beef Tallow (Melted)
- ¼ cup Bragg’s apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
Instructions For Vinaigrette
- Combine all ingredients and mix In a small bowl
- Slice steak and scrape any drippings into the bowl.
- Drizzle 1-2 tbsp of the vinaigrette on the sliced beef and plate.
Meet The Chef:
Chef Danny Sterling and his wife Julia are the proprietors of Cumberland Heritage Co. Danny specializes in developing recipes and preparing healthy, nutritious, ancestral foods. The husband/wife duo are also available for nutrition consulting and private events.