Carley Smith (aka The Fairy Gutmother) walks us through a home chef cooking demonstration. This delicious pork belly and spicy kraut recipe will amaze your friends, family, and guests. Always start with the cleanest, most nutritious ingredients and you might be surprised to find the end result is better than what you’ll find in most upscale restaurants. In this case, pasture-raised pork from sustainable farms is on the menu. Our farms use NO pesticides, NO herbicides, NO GMOs, NO chemical fertilizers, NO growth hormones, and NO antibiotics.
Check out this absolutely mouthwatering recipe with Carley’s homemade rub, sauce, and slaw!
Pork Belly with Kraut Slaw
Recipe & Photos by Carley Smith | Fairy Gutmother
USWM Shopping List: US Wellness Meats Fresh Skin On 4LB Pork Belly, Bone Broth, Raw Honey
Pork Belly Ingredients
- US Wellness Meats Fresh Skin On 4LB Pork Belly
- 6 cups bone broth
- 4TBS oil
- 1:1 ratio
- Coconut sugar
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- 1/3 cup high-quality oil
- 1tsp coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 4TBS green onion, chopped
Kraut Slaw Ingredients
- 1C sauerkraut
- 1C green cabbage, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 green apple, spiralized
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced or spiralized
- 3TBS cilantro, chopped
- 1TBS oregano
- 1/4tsp celery salt
- 1 lime, juice + zest
- 1/4tsp sea salt
Combine all slaw ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine seasoning rub and set aside (Tip: This is such a tasty rub to have on hand for any meats or salads, I like making a large portion then just saving for all my cooking).
- Pat pork belly dry with a paper towel.
- Remove fat from skin with a small paring knife (Tip: It is easier to trim the fat when the pork is cooler).
- Cut belly into 2-inch cubes.
- Evenly and thoroughly coat cubes in seasoning.
- Heat oil in a large pan over the stove then season each side of the belly for a few minutes on each side. Save this pan for sauteing later.
- Transfer belly to a baking rack in a baking dish.
- Add broth to bottom of dish to prevent burning and to lock in moisture.
- Cover with foil then place in oven for about 1.5-2 hours or until internal temperature is 200°F. Check the pork periodically to know if you need to add more broth.
- Remove from oven then add belly back to pan and add sauce then allow to simmer for a few minutes, turning the cubes so that they all are evenly coated in the sauce.
- Remove from saucepan and serve with kraut slaw. Enjoy!
Browse more of Carley’s recipes on our Youtube Channel and Discover Blog!
Carley Smith, aka The Fairy Gutmother, is a Nutritional Therapist and Certified GAPS Practitioner with a passion for helping others improve their gut & immune health. Carley was diagnosed with Lyme disease and practiced the ancient art of healing through food. Please visit Carley’s Featured Chef page and Fairy Gutmother for more information.