Recipe & Photos courtesy of Alison Marras | Food By Mars
Once in a while we run across a truly inspired idea for making a classic into a masterpiece or turning a good recipe into a great one. In this case, Past Featured Chef, Alison Marras has given us an idea for a paleo, gluten-free, Whole30 approved, AIP friendly sweet potato bun. One word…WOW! This is awesome! Bonus…you still get to enjoy the yummy insides of your sweet tater!
In order to make the most of this amazing inspiration, start with 100% grass-fed, all-beef franks and prepare to feast on delicious!
USWM Shopping List: Beef Franks
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 30 min
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive or avocado oil
- 2 – beef franks, cooked
- your favorite toppings
Instructions for Sweet Potato Bun
- Preheat oven to 400f degrees and prep a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut sweet potato in half lengthwise and eyeball the length of your potato, mine were particularly large so I cut one of the tips off to match the size of my hot dogs.
- Spray or drizzle potato with oil and bake flesh side down on the bottom rack for approx. 30 minutes or until cooked in the middle, flipping them over mid-way.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop out some of the center potato (and eat it!), just enough so the hot dog and toppings will fit, but leave some of the middle so it’s sturdy.
- Pile in your hot dogs and toppings as you wish! Serve and enjoy.
See Alison’s original recipe blog post at Food By Mars.