Recipe and photos courtesy of Marla Starr author of Pigskin Paleo
Stuffed cabbage is a delicious dish that can be varied depending on your preferences. Nearly anything can be stuffed inside the boiled cabbage leaves. Marla’s version is loaded with flavorful grass-fed beef! Choose your favorite…75% Lean Ground Beef, Ground with Organ Blend, or 55% Keto Beef, Ground. You may also like to try stuffing with pasture-raised pork sausage. Whichever you prefer, it’s sure to dazzle the tastebuds.
Our thanks to Marla Starr, author of Pigskin Paleo, for sharing this wonderfully versatile dish. Marla uses a Sofrito to cook the cabbage rolls in, but you can use whatever sauce you like. Sofrito is a type of salsa you can easily make at home.
US Wellness Shopping List: Ground Beef
Yield: 15 – 20 cabbage rolls
Recipe and photos courtesy of Marla Starr | author of Pigskin Paleo
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1lb organic carrots
- 1lb grass-fed ground beef
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground sea salt
- 3 cups Sofrito or salsa
Instructions For Paleo Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Boil water in a large saucepan.
- While water is coming to a boil, cut the end off the head of cabbage by digging into the head of cabbage with a sharp knife in a circular motion. Remove and discard. Now, with soft fingers, gently remove the leaves off the head of cabbage. Don’t worry if there is a tear or two, they will get covered up when you roll them.
- Once the water has come to a boil submerge 2-3 full leaves at a time into the boiling water. Boil the leaves for 2-3 minutes, or until they turn a brighter shade of green. Remove from water and transfer to a rimmed plate. Continue until all leaves are done.
- While the cabbage leaves are going, peel and chop the ends off the carrots. Using the shredding attachment on your food processor (or a box grater if you don’t have a food processor) shred the carrots. Transfer shredded carrots to a large mixing bowl.
- Break up your ground meat with your hands and add to the bowl with the shredded carrots, oregano and sea salt. Dig in with your hands to mix everything together.
- Once all the cabbage leaves are all ready it’s time to get rollin’! Grab a single leaf and chop off any hard end that still exists. Add a 1/4 cup of the meat/carrot mixture to the stem end of the cabbage and sprinkle a taste of sea salt on top. Fold both sides in on top of the mixture and start rolling from the stem toward the looser end. Place the cabbage roll flap side down inside a crockpot. Repeat this step until all the leaves are stuffed with meat and you either run out of one or the other.
- Pour the Sofrito or salsa on top of all the stuffed cabbage rolls.
- Turn the crock pot to Low and cook for 6-7 hours or until the inside of a cabbage roll reads 160°F on a meat thermometer.
- Remove items from crockpot and serve with your choice of veggie side. Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge.
- Enjoy! 🙂
Meet Marla Starr! Marla is the passionate mastermind behind the popular food blog Paleo Porn. After discovering Paleo in 2009, she refined her self taught culinary skills and lost over 60 lbs in the pursuit of improved health. Visit Marla’s blog to learn more about her Paleo journey and discover even more delicious recipes.