With a little help from your slow cooker, this Paleo Short Ribs with Oxtails recipe will knock your socks off.
Recipe Author: Marla Sarris
US Wellness Meats Shopping List: Beef Oxtails, Short Ribs, Duck Fat, Beef Broth
- duck fat
- 2 1/2lbs grassfed beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1lb beef oxtails
- 1 large onion
- 5 carrots, peeled
- 5 stalks celery
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- dried thyme, to taste
PHOTO CREDIT: Marla Sarris
- Heat the duck fat (or your preferred choice of fat) in a large frying pan over medium heat. Season the short ribs with sea salt, black pepper and garlic powder and brown in the duck fat on all sides. Transfer to the bottom of the crock pot and brown the oxtails on all sides.
- Chop the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in large chunks and add to the top of the meat in the crock pot.
- Pour in the beef broth and sherry vinegar over the vegetables, add the bay leaf and top everything off with a shake of dried thyme.
- Cook everything on high for 6-8 hours. If after 6 hours the meat is tender enough, remove from heat and serve. If the meat isn’t falling off the bone yet let it cook longer.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator and serve for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Our thanks to Marla Sarris who is the creator of this delicious Paleo Short Ribs with Oxtails recipe. Marla is the co-author of the cookbook, Pigskin Paleo and executive producer of the film, Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things. She’s also authoring a new cookbook, Paleo MX: Authentic Mexican Recipes, which we’re anticipating. You can learn more about Marla here.