This Paleo Shepherd’s Pie recipe from December 2018 Featured Chef Amanda Love is a tried and true favorite. It’s an extremely versatile dish that’s delicious with ground Beef, Lamb, Bison, Pork, Turkey, Elk or your family’s favorite ground meat. Start with grass-fed or pasture raised meat for a nutritiously filling meal.
Recipe Author: Amanda Love | The Barefoot Cook
PHOTO CREDIT: Amanda Love | The Barefoot Cook
2 heads of organic cauliflower, chopped up into big chunks
½ cup of organic pastured butter or ghee (Pure Indian Foods Ghee is my favorite)
1 pound organic green beans, washed and trimmed into 1 inch pieces or 2 pounds zucchini, sliced into 1 inch rounds
2-3 teaspoons salt
pepper to taste
truffle salt or truffle oil
2 scallions, finely sliced for garnish
½ cup of almond slivers
4 oz fresh soft chèvre (goat cheese) or non-dairy spreadable cheese of choice
Instructions For Paleo Shepherd’s Pie
- Brown ground meat with a touch of salt until cooked through. Make sure to cook on medium low heat to preserve the good fats from your pasture raised meat.
- While your meat is cooking, get a steamer set up going and steam cauliflower (a steamer in a pot of water over high heat) for about 10 minutes or until tender. After cauliflower is tender, spoon out cauliflower chunks into a blender or bowl. Add ghee or butter and 2-3 teaspoons of truffle salt (or regular salt) and teaspoon of pepper. Taste until it is to your liking. If you don’t add enough salt, it will be a bit bland. Blend until smooth or else mash with a fork, a potato masher or an immersion blender in a bowl. Set aside.
- Next with the same steam set up, steam green beans for about 6-7 minutes or until bright green and tender.
- Assemble: Evenly distribute the meat all over the bottom of the baking dish. Next spread the cauliflower mashers evenly over the meat. You can use a spatula to spread it. Next evenly place green beans over mashers. Optional next steps: place 12 dollops of Chive Cream Cheese or chèvre over casserole, scatter sliced scallions, and add sliced almonds slivers.
- Place casserole in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 45 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
Meet The Chef
Amanda Love has 20 years experience as a holistic nutrition expert and real food chef. Her passion is rejuvenating body, mind and home for a well-balanced life and a happy, healthy baby. Visit Amanda at www.amandalove.com