Recipe & Photos courtesy of: Gabriella Mezanava | Beyond The Bite 4 Life
During the winter, our diet usually undergoes somewhat of a seasonal adjustment. Soups and stews are a staple during the cold winter months. They’re ideal for warming our insides and a great recipe will do wonders for improving the winter doldrums.
Gabriella Mezanava has a truly delicious soup recipe that brings savory and a hint of sweet together for a fabulous marriage of flavors. Fill the pot with all-natural ingredients including pasture raised ground pork, grass-fed beef broth, and organic veggies, and you’ll also enjoy the health benefits of this yummy paleo pumpkin sausage soup.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Gabriella Mezanava | Beyond the Bite
- 1 1/2 lb pork sausage (or) ground pork *AIP spices in notes below
- 1 cup leeks – sliced
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 – 15 oz canned pumpkin
- 2 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 cups spinach
- In a large stock pot, heat lard on low heat until melted.
- Chop pork sausage into chunks, slice leeks, and add both to the pot.
- Sprinkle with 1 tsp sea salt, thyme, basil, and cinnamon, allowing to sweat out and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the leeks are soft and sausage cooked through, add in canned pumpkin, maple syrup, and beef stock.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 tsp sea salt, stirring until fully combined.
Keep the heat on low, allowing the soup to become very hot, about 10-15 minutes.
- Once hot, stir in spinach until wilted and serve.
If you are using plain, ground pork, add an extra tsp of basil, thyme, salt, and oregano, plus a tbsp of garlic powder to the meat.
Meet The Chef
Our thanks to Gabriella Mezanava, certified chef, writer, and science lover for sharing her recipe. Gabriella uses diet, lifestyle, and personal primal knowledge to overcome the odds of healing from chronic Lyme Disease. See Gabriella’s blog, Beyond the Bite 4 Life, for more information.
“While there may not be an one-stop cure for the damaging effects that untreated, neurological Lyme had in my body since a young age, I believe that through Christ all things are possible. No illness, trial, or circumstance in life defines who one is, rather shapes them into all that they are meant to be.”
Check out Gabriella’s e-book, Organ Meat Makeover, for recipes, AIP dietary tips, FAQs and more!