This healthy meat sauce recipe is super simple and delicious. As a bonus, it’s gluten free, Whole30 friendly, grain free and dairy free. Pair this with your favorite gluten free pasta and…magnific!
Have you tried Zoodles yet? Here’s a good opportunity to use this meaty ground chicken meat sauce with zucchini noodles for a nutritious meal the whole family will enjoy!
Author: Dominique Fasano of Perchance To Cook
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 30 min
USWM Shopping List: Pasture Raised Ground Chicken
PHOTO CREDIT: Dominique Fasano/Perchance to Cook
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 1.5 tsp dried basil , divided
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper , divided
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp salt , divided
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp olive oil
- a heaping 1/2 cup of diced yellow onion (this was 1 small yellow onion for me)
- 1.5 Tbs of diced garlic , (this was 4 cloves of garlic for me)
- 1/2 cup of diced red bell pepper
- 6 ounces of sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups of chopped tomatoes , I used Pomi Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 cups of strained tomatoes , I used Pomi Strained Tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 cups of chopped kale , with the stems removed
Instructions for Ground Chicken Meat Sauce
- Put your ground chicken into a large bowl and top with 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp rubbed sage, 1 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 tsp fennel seeds. Mix all the seasoning into the ground chicken and set aside.
- In a large pot or frying pan, add 2 tsp of olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and diced garlic to the pan and cook for about 3-4 minutes, mixing every so often, until fragrant and softened.
- Add the ground chicken and diced red peppers to the pan. Mix, while breaking the ground chicken into smaller pieces. Cook until the chicken is fully cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan, mix and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then add 2 cups of chopped tomatoes, 2 cups of strained tomatoes, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp dried basil, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, mix and simmer for about 8-10 minutes.
- Then add the chopped kale to the pan, mix and cook for 2 minutes, or until the kale is wilted.
Dominique Fasano is a past Featured Chef for USWM. Our thanks for sharing this awesome recipe.