Recipe by, Marla Starr, Starr Fitness & Pigskin Paleo
“The Jibarito is a sandwich made with flattened, fried green plantains (instead of bread), garlic-flavored mayonnaise, and a filling of meat, cheese, lettuce, and tomato. And the best part is that this paleo dream of a meal was created in Chicago, IL.! This Puerto Rican sandwich originally had a steak filling, but other ingredients, such as chicken and pork, are common substitutes. If you frequent a Puerto Rican restaurant in Chicago, you’ll find several different meat alternatives offered as options.” – Marla
USWM Shopping List: Flank, Strip, or Skirt Steak
Serves: 2-4 people
- 2 green plantains
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 lbs thin-cut grass-fed beef steak (cut recommendations include flank, strip, skirt, flap, etc.)
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo
- butterhead lettuce (or your choice of green leaf lettuce)
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced (optional)
1. Cut the ends off the plantains and discard. Then slice each plantain from long end to end completely in half. Peel the skin off each plantain and discard.
2. Flatten each plantain half by placing it between two sheets of parchment paper and using a tortilla press or pressing down with a heavy weight like a large cutting board or a kettlebell. 😉
3. Once all plantains are pressed, heat coconut oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook for 3-5 minutes, flip, and brown on both sides before transferring to a plate. Set aside.
4. Heat a cast iron grill pan over medium heat until hot. Season steak with sea salt, black pepper & garlic powder on both sides. Sear, flip, and cook steak to your desired doneness.
5. Next prepare your sandwich. Place a plantain half on a plate, smear with mayo, and add lettuce, tomato slices and I added sliced sweet onion. Top all that with the cooked steak. Finally, smear more mayo on the second plantain half and place on top of steak. Cut the sandwich in half at the center with a steak knife and serve alongside white rice or cauliflower rice.
The US Wellness Meats team has made this Puerto Rican Paleo Jibarito Sandwich using Steak, Pork, and Chicken comparatively. The jury is still out on which one of the US Wellness Meats proteins is best overall! Which of the US Wellness main meats will you use as the star ingredient in your Paleo Jibarito Sandwich?
Meet Marla Starr!
Meet Marla Starr! Marla is the passionate mastermind behind the popular food blog Paleo Porn. After discovering Paleo in 2009, she refined her self taught culinary skills and lost over 60 lbs in the pursuit of improved health. Visit Marla’s blog to learn more about her Paleo journey and discover even more delicious recipes.