Here’s a hearty grain-free casserole from Dominique Fasano that’s ideal for serving a hungry crowd. Whether you’re expecting visitors for dinner, or just preparing a savory meal for your hungry family, this Paleo Ground Lamb Shepherd’s Pie is easy to make and offers an affordable option. Start with 100% grass-fed ground lamb for the best flavor and nutrition value.
Recipe Author: Dominique Fasano/Perchance To Cook
PHOTO CREDIT: Dominique Fasano/Perchance to Cook
Mashed potato topping ingredients:
- 6-8 medium potatoes , cut into 1 inch slices
- ½ of a head of cauliflower , cut into smaller florets
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbs canned coconut cream (Savoy tastes great, and has no preservatives)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp dried parsley
Shepherd’s pie filling ingredients:
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 3-4 carrots , sliced (this was 2 cups for me)
- 1 onion , diced (this was 1 cup for me)
- 3 cloves of garlic , diced
- 1 lb ground lamb
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup diced green beans (this was about 30 green beans for me)
- 2 Tbs tapioca flour
- 2 Tbs tomato paste (Cento is Paleo)
- 2 Tbs blackstrap molasses
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 cup strained tomatoes (Pomi is my favorite)
- 1 cup chicken stock or bone broth
- 1 egg , beaten
Instructions For Paleo Ground Lamb Shepherd’s Pie
- Boil the sliced potatoes, and the cauliflower florets in water for 20-25 minutes, until you can easily stab the potatoes with a knife. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Make the Shepherd’s pie filling:
- Put 1 Tbs of olive oil and 2 cups of sliced carrots into a large pot, mix, and heat over medium-high heat. Sauté the carrots until tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add 1 cup of diced onions and the diced garlic, mix and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce the head to medium, add the ground lamb to the pot and mix breaking it up into smaller pieces. Top the ground lamb with 1/2 tsp of black pepper, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of dried thyme, and ½ tsp dried rosemary. Mix and cook until the meat is browned, about 7 minutes.
- Add the diced green beans to the pan and mix.
- Add 2 Tbs of tapioca flour to the meat and mix well. Then add the 2 Tbs of tomato paste, 2 Tbs of blackstrap molasses, and ½ tsp of chili powder to the meat and mix. Add 1 cup of strained tomatoes, mix, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of chicken stock or bone broth and simmer until the sauce reduces to a gravy, about 7 minutes.
- Pour the shepherd’s pie filling into a 9 in x 13 in glass dish.
Make the mashed potato topping:
- Put all of the boiled potatoes and cauliflower into a large bowl, top with 1/3 cup almond milk, 2 Tbs coconut cream, 1 Tbs olive oil, ½ tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp dried parsley, ½ salt, ½ pepper and mix.
- Scoop the mashed potatoes onto the filling in the pan, evenly distributing it and then smooth it out with a spatula.
- Whisk 1 egg in a small bowl, brush the top of the mashed potatoes with the whisked egg.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
See the original recipe on Perchance to Cook
Meet The Chef:
Dominique Fasano is a past Featured Chef for USWM. Thanks to Domique for sharing this Paleo Ground Lamb Shepherd’s Pie recipe. Dominique is a blogger, recipe developer and photographer for her blog Perchance to Cook. You can read more about Domique and her fabulous recipes on her Featured Chef page.