There’s always a good reason to make chili. Whether it’s a football weekend, a particularly wintery day, or as a dreary winter comfort food, chili makes a delicious meal. Maybe you have some reasons of your own. They’re all good with a recipe like this one. You can’t possibly make it too frequently.
Enjoy the savory smells of this hearty paleo chili as it slow cooks in the crock. It’s guaranteed to warm up your insides even on the coldest winter days.
PHOTO CREDIT: The Pastured Kitchen
Recipe: The Pastured Kitchen
USWM Shopping List: 75% Lean or 85% Lean Grass-fed Ground Beef
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
- 2lbs grass-fed ground beef
- 1 Tbsp bacon fat
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- ¼ cup 100% cacao powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (from can – make sure they are wheat-free), sliced
Instructions For Paleo Chili
- Heat bacon fat in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion; saute until tender but do not burn.
- Add the ground beef and cook until about medium (just long enough to brown most of the meat).
- Once browned, add meat/garlic/onion mixture to the crock-pot.
- In no particular order, add in the celery, bell pepper, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, cacao powder, chipotle peppers (if used) and spices.
- Stir all ingredients well and set Crock-Pot to low and cook for 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve and enjoy!
Hearty USW thanks go out to Sean Coonce & Suzanne Robertson of Pastured Kitchen for sharing this recipe. Please visit Pastured Kitchen for many more mouthwatering recipes.