This hearty Paleo Burrito Pie Casserole dish was developed as a healthier alternative to a popular layered casserole. It is possible to make this dish using some stand-ins. For example, you can either make your own salsa or purchase your favorite clean variety. The same goes for the tortillas. Of course, there’s always a greater sense of accomplishment when you make something from scratch, but it can take a bit more time and effort. Of course the additional benefit is obvious…you know precisely what ingredients are in your food. Either way, you’ll end up with a delicious casserole your whole family will love. Next time you’re craving lasagna, give this a try instead.
Recipe Author: Marla Sarris
PHOTO CREDIT: Marla Sarris
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground sea salt
Paleo Burrito Pie Casserole:
- 6 small Paleo Tortillas
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2lbs grass-fed ground beef
- 4oz can diced green chiles
- 12oz jar mild salsa or (make your own)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/2lb raw, grassfed cheddar, shredded (optional)
- 1 tomato, sliced
Directions for Tortillas:
- Add eggs and almond milk to a medium size mixing bowl. Break the yolks and whisk to combine.
- Add the tapioca, coconut and sea salt. Whisk until well blended and no flour bubbles exist.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat until very hot.
- The size of tortilla you make will be dependent on whether you’d like to produce taco or burrito size shells. For taco-size tortillas pour 1/3 cup into an 8″ cast iron skillet, for burrito-size tortillas pour 1 cup into a 12″ skillet.
- Swivel the pan around so the mixture fills the base. Reduce heat to medium-low. Wait about 1-2 minutes or until first side shows bubbles and sides are sturdy and able to flip. Flip and cook on reverse side until cooked throughout and browned. Note tortillas may start to puff up.
- Transfer the cooked tortillas to a plate and repeat sets above until all the batter is used up.
Directions for Paleo Burrito Pie Casserole:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- First prepare the Paleo Tortillas. You will need 6 so you will have a couple leftover to munch on while you wait. Alternatively, you can package the leftover tortillas in foil and store them in the fridge for another day.
- In a 10.25-inch cast iron skillet, sauté the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground beef, diced green chiles, salsa and chili powder and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until meat is cooked through.
- Add a layer of meat mixture to an 8×8 casserole dish. Cover the meat with a layer of tortillas, top with meat and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast (~1/2 tablespoon). Continue the layering of tortilla, meat and nutritional yeast until you run out of meat (make sure the meat layer is on top).
- Place sliced tomato on top of meat mixture and transfer the dish to the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest 2-3 minutes. Slice and serve.
- Enjoy! 🙂
Visit Marla’s website for the original recipe post
Meet The Chef
Our thanks to Marla Sarris who is the creator of this and many other amazing recipes. Marla is the co-author of the cookbook, Pigskin Paleo and executive producer of the film, Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things. She’s also authoring a new cookbook, Paleo MX: Authentic Mexican Recipes, which we’re anticipating. You can learn more about Marla here.