The Bisquick-like dough seeps into the crevices of the seasoned ground beef and creamy AIP queso sauce…to-die-for!!!
A special shoutout to our August 2020 Featured Chef, Stacey Venancio, who continues to provide us all with an abundance of nourishing and delectible recipes. This Paleo AIP Cheeseburger Pie has us all sorts of excited! Follow along with the recipe and video demo below. See more of her creations on her YouTube channel – Real World AIP. Thank you, Stacey!
Paleo AIP Cheeseburger Pie
Recipe and Photo By: Stacey Venancio | Real World AIP
USWM Shopping List: Ground Beef
- 1 lb. peeled and raw, very unripe green bananas- not plantains, just regular old Chiquita bananas, extra green. (Weigh them after peeling or start with 1 1/4 pounds pre-peeling)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 4-6 cups leafy veggies of your choice- spinach, kale, chard, etc.
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 1-2 T Paleo “Butter” Pats – Video Tutorial / Print Recipe (Or sub 1 T oil or butter + 1 clove minced garlic)
- Primal Palate garlic & herb blend OR sub garlic powder, oregano & thyme
- 8 oz of my AIP Queso Cheese Sauce Video Tutorial/ Print Recipe (or sub your favorite AIP cheese recipe)
- Saute the onion in the “butter” or oil in a skillet, adding extra oil if needed to prevent from burning. Cook until softened and starting to brown.
- Add ground beef, 1 tsp Primal Palate garlic herb blend and 3/4 tsp salt. Put beef mixture into a bowl and drain off the beef fat/ juice back into the skillet.
- Add leafy greens to skillet and cook until wilted. Salt to taste and set aside.
- Take the 1 lb peeled raw green banana and put into a blender or food processor (I use the Ninja Express Chop in the video). Blend until pureed into a dough and add in 3/4 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp Primal Palate Garlic & Herb blend.
- Grease a glass casserole dish.
- Spread 1/2 of the green banana dough on bottom and up the sides.
- Layer half the beef mix over that.
- Layer the veggies over the beef.
- Layer 1/2 of the cheese over the veggies
- Add a thin layer of dough over the cheese (save enough to cover the top at the end)
- Layer on the rest of the beef.
- Layer on the rest of the cheese.
- Cover all with the remainder of green banana dough.
- Bake at 400 degrees, covered loosely with foil for 1 hour. Remove foil and let brown 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool in fridge overnight before slicing if you want it to hold together in a square, or eat right away, it’s still delicious when it’s messy! Feel free to thaw and freeze!
Visit the Discover Blog for recipes, kitchen tips, and more!
Stacey Venancio is on a mission to make the world a healthier, happier place through food, fitness, and mindset inspiration. She is a full-time ACE Certified Personal Trainer as well as an ACE Certified Health Coach. Through her blog, Real World AIP, Stacey shares delicious AIP recipes and inspiration to achieve a better quality of life.