Many of us can relate to having nostalgic cravings for fast food items even if we no longer frequent fast food establishments. You can have the best of both worlds by recreating your favorite menu items with whole and healthy ingredients right at home. February Featured Chef Kim Delatorre’s Orange Chicken and Rice recipe will quickly outshine any fast food cravings.
“When we lived in Washington, we would frequent Panda Express quite a bit. Fast food was available to us at every turn, so why not take the easy way out and just grab our dinner?
Now that we are in Idaho, away from everything under the sun, I have to get creative with dinners. I have to cook. Last night, I decided to make delicious orange chicken and rice. It is kind of a Panda Express copycat orange chicken recipe, but I made it completely my own!
By now, I probably have your mouth-watering by my yummy pictures in this post. You are probably wondering how to make delicious orange chicken and rice. I have the recipe below. It has a few steps to it, so be sure you have plenty of time and room to make this!”
Orange Chicken & Rice Recipe
Recipe By: Kim Delatorre | Shop With Me Mama
USWM Shopping List: Chicken Breasts
- 2 cups white rice
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 2 cutie mandarin oranges (will be using the juice & zest from them)
- 10 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 10 tbsp of sugar (or 1:1 monk fruit sweetener)
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 cup of water
- 3 eggs
- 4 green onions
- red pepper flakes
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce (or 1:1 coconut aminos)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- Start cooking rice according to package instructions
- Turn deep fryer on high or you can use a frying pan or wok
- Cut up chicken breast into medium-sized cubes
- Coat chicken pieces in the egg
- Put chicken pieces into the flour mixture and coat completely
- Put coated chicken pieces into the fryer, wok, pan and brown (about 5 min.)
- Take out chicken pieces and put on a paper towel
- In a bowl, mix soy sauce, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, white sugar, apple cider vinegar, 1 tbs vegetable oil, the juice from the mandarins, zest from the mandarins, ½ the chopped green onions and mix well
- Mix one cup of warm water with 3 TBS of flour. Mix really well, set aside
- Use a frying pan to heat oil and add the minced garlic heat through for 1 minute or so
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the sauce, mixing well and bring to a quick boil for 20 seconds
- Pull the pan from heat and put aside.
- Add breaded chicken to the sauce and coat chicken pieces completely
- Put coated chicken pieces over the steaming white rice and sprinkle the remaining green onions over it
Find recipes and more on the Discover Blog.
Kim Delatorre is a stay at home mom to 3 children. She enjoys baking, cooking, crafts, interior decorating, and having fun with the family. Kim has been featured on Cision as one of the Top 50 US Mom Bloggers and as one of the Top 50 Review Blogs. Check out her Shop With Me Mama Blog for cooking and family project ideas or to find the best deals for the home.