Sourdough, sliced sirloin, and cheese. It doesn’t get much better than that! Except that it does… these cheesy steak sandwiches are made with grass-fed cheese and steak. This means that the nutritional profile is next level. The raw, grass-fed Mozzarella cheese is hand-crafted in small batches from whole A2-A2 milk, which has a unique protein profile that is easier to digest than A1 milk. Both the cheese and the sirloin steak are sourced from 100% grass-fed cows (no grain, soy, or GMOs) and are naturally higher in Omega-3s and CLAs. The veggies and sourdough in this recipe add even more nutrients!
It’s no secret that our October 2022 Featured Chef, Danielle Christy, developed this recipe for nutrition. You’ll soon realize that this recipe was also created for crunch and flavor! This is the perfect recipe for feeding a crowd, for a quick lunch for yourself, or for meal prepping once a week to heat and enjoy throughout the week.
Open Faced Steak Sandwiches
Recipe & Photos by Danielle Christy | @danielle_christy_kitchen
USWM Shopping List: 12 oz. Sirloin Steak, Mozzarella
- 1 sourdough or french baguette
- 12 ounces grass-fed sirloin steak, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- In a medium bowl, mix the 1/4 inch strips of steak with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbsp avocado oil. Add the onions and peppers and cook 2-3 minutes. Season with salt.
- Push onions and peppers to one side, turn the heat up to high, and add steak and sear on each side for 1-2 minutes. You don’t want to cook it all the way. Toss with peppers and onions and remove from heat.
- Heat broiler on high and adjust oven rack 6 inches below the heating element. Cut the baguette in half and brush 1 tbsp oil on each side. Scatter 1 garlic clove on each side and top with 1/4 cup shredded parmesan on each side. Place on a baking sheet and broil until cheese begins to melt.
- Remove bread from the oven and spread steak, onions, and peppers on each side. Top with the remaining cheeses and broil until cheese is melted and gooey.
- Top with fresh parsley and serve.
Discover more of Danielle’s recipes, and browse the US Wellness Blog for delicious recipes and health content.
Meet Danielle! As a health coach, it is Danielle’s passion to help people develop healthy food and cooking habits. As a personal chef and recipe blogger, Danielle shares recipes focusing on seasonal ingredients, whole foods, and eating the rainbow. Check out family favorites and weekly recipes on her blog, Savor the Kitchen, and Instagram.