These days it is quite popular to lead a dairy-free life. For our friends who follow a dairy-free lifestyle we have a special recipe by August 2020 Featured Chef Stacey Venancio. Stacey’s Novolone Cheese (dairy-free bone marrow cheese) is just the treat for you.
“Bone marrow gives this Paleo cheese a delicious savory flavor that will make you forget it’s dairy-free! ¼ c bacon fat, tallow or duck fat can also be used in place of the marrow. This cheese is sliceable and shreddable, and when heated it has the ooey-gooey texture you’d expect from cheese- and it is absolutely delicious!!”
Novolone Cheese – Dairy Free Bone Marrow Cheese
By Stacey Venancio | Real World AIP
This recipe makes 8 ounces of cheese.
USWM Shopping List: Canoe Cut Marrow Bones
- 2-3 lbs of canoe-cut marrow bones
- 200g cooked (boiled or pressure cooked for 30 min) chopped green plantain. This is about 1 1/2-1 3/4 cups.
- 1 tbs FRESH lemon juice (bottled lemon juice just isn’t the same)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
Cooking the Marrow:
- Start with 2-3 lbs of canoe-cut marrow bones.
- Roast them on a rack in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Let cool enough to handle and scoop out the marrow.
- Set aside 1/4 cup (60g) of the cooked marrow for this recipe and freeze any leftover marrow for future cheese recipes. (Other uses for the leftover marrow: stir some into a soup, mix into your burger meat, mashed root vegetables, salad dressing or dip.)
Making the Cheese:
- Blend marrow, plantain, lemon juice, salt and onion powder in a high speed blender using a tamper to pack down until mixture is hot and melty and the blades are spinning consistently.(This could take a few minutes but don’t give up, the end result is worth it!)
- Pour the mix onto parchment paper. (If you do not have parchment paper you can pour it into a very well-greased bowl.)
- Bunch up the sides of the parchment to form a ball and refrigerate 10-14 hours.
Note on Blending: If you are using a Vitamix or high speed blender, this works best if you use plantain that was cooked the day before and cooled overnight. If you use freshly cooked plantain in the Vitamix it gets a solid gummy consistency that can overwork your blender and make it shut off. I do not understand the physics behind this phenomenon, lol, but trust me on that!
Thank you Stacey for this recipe!
Explore more of Stacey’s recipes on the Discover Blog.
Stacey Venancio is on a mission to make the world a healthier, happier place through food, fitness, and mindset inspiration. She is a full-time ACE Certified Personal Trainer as well as an ACE Certified Health Coach. Through her blog, Real World AIP, Stacey shares delicious AIP recipes and inspiration to achieve a better quality of life.