Here’s a traditional favorite for fall…Mincemeat Pie. This delicious sweet & savory dish comes to us from our very own US Wellness culinary enthusiast, Laura L. Laura’s mincemeat pie recipe is complete with a paleo pie crust so you’ll be well prepared for family and friends with gluten or other grain sensitivities.
Recipe Author: Laura L. of Who Cooks For You?
US Wellness Meats Shopping List: Pork Lard, Chuck Roast or Stew Beef, Sunny Acres Raw Honey, and Unsalted Anchor Butter
PHOTO CREDIT: Laura L./Who Cooks For You?
2 Cups Cooked Roast Beef or Stew Beef (chopped finely or minced)
2 Large Tart Apples (remove core & optionally remove peeling, dice fine)
3/4 Cup Dark Organic Raisins
3/4 Cup White Organic Raisins
1 – 1oz Bag of Honestly Dried Cranberries
1/3 Cup Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar
1 1/4 Cup XyloSweet All-Natural Sweetener (or natural sweetener of choice)
1 Tbsp Brer Rabbit Molasses (optional)
1 Tbsp Sunny Acres Raw Honey (optional)
1 tsp Fine Ground Sea Salt
1 tsp Organic Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Organic Ground Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Organic Ground Cloves
6 Tbsp Unsalted Anchor Butter
Paleo Pie Crust
2 Cups Blanched Almond Flour
2 Tbsp Melted Lard or Organic Coconut Oil
- Combine cooked beef, finely diced apples, raisins, dried cranberries, apple cider vinegar, natural sweetener of choice, molasses, honey, and sea salt in a large sauce pan.
- Mix and cook on low 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, and butter.
- Stir well and let cool to room temperature before filling unbaked pie shells.
Paleo Pie Crust
- Blend almond flour, egg, and coconut oil. Add more Almond Flour as necessary to get the right consistency. If you over-add flour, moisten with very small bits of coconut oil. Larger eggs might make dough too moist. In this case, add Almond Flour sparingly.
This recipe will fill two 8-9 inch pie shells.
Filling may be frozen in an air-tight bag or container for use at a later date or stored in the refrigerator 3-5 days. After freezing, simply thaw and use.
Chef Laura is The US Wellness Meats on-site chef and food consultant. She is a recipe developer and owns/operates Who Cooks For You?