Here’s a breakfast hash recipe perfect for those mornings when you want something colorful and nutritious to brighten the day. It’s a meaty, delicious dish the whole family will enjoy.
Recipe Author: Jessi Heggan of Jessi’s Kitchen
USWM Shopping List: Sugar-Free Bacon, and/or Sugar-Free Pork Breakfast Sausage
PHOTO CREDIT: Jessi Heggan/Jessi’s Kitchen
- 3 slices bacon, chopped -or- pork breakfast sausage
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cups butternut squash, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 2 Tbls chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions For Breakfast Hash
- Cook the bacon in a sauté pan and set aside. You can either use the bacon grease to cook the hash or clean out the pan.
- Heat the oil to medium/high heat and throw in the squash, onion, apple, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover the pan and sauté the hash for ten minutes.
- Add the spinach and fresh cilantro and cook for about 3 more minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- Top the hash with the chopped bacon. Throw a fried egg on top or just eat it as is!
Notes: Sweet potato also makes a great substitute for the squash.
Meet The Chef:
Our thanks to Jessi Heggan of Jessi’s Kitchen for sharing her Breakfast Hash recipe. At Jessi’s Kitchen, you will find a mixture of gluten free, paleo friendly, vegan, vegetarian and probably some delicious cocktails to try. Visit Jessi’s Kitchen for recipes, home/lifestyle, and beauty tips.