Recipe Author: Ethan Torgersen
June 2019 Featured Chef, Ethan Torgersen, brings his love for low-carb foods to the table with this delicious change-up on an old-time favorite.
Shepherd’s Pie, aka Cottage Pie, is a savory Irish favorite that traditionally uses potatoes and lamb or beef. In this case, a lower carb alternative is mashed cauliflower. If you love the consistency and flavor of potatoes, don’t worry, cauliflower has an amazing similarity on both counts. Ground Elk has a rich flavor that balances well with the ingredients in this dish.
This is an excellent choice for middle of the week meals when you have leftovers in the fridge to use up.
USWM Shopping List: Ground Elk, Grass-fed Butter, Grass-fed, Raw Cheddar
PHOTO CREDIT: Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie With Ground Elk by Ethan Torgersen | Fit_and_Ketoned
- 1 lb ground elk
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1-2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Garlic, pepper, and salt
Instructions For Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie
- Season ground elk with garlic, onion, thyme, salt and pepper and brown it in a skillet.
- Soften the cauliflower in the microwave. Use a large microwave safe dish, cover the bottom of the dish with water and add cauliflower florets. Place a sheet of paper towel or wax paper over the dish and cook on high for 4-5 minutes, then drain the water from the cauliflower.
- Mash cauliflower with a fork or potato masher.
- Blend in melted butter, parmesan cheese, and cauliflower mash.
- Place crumbled ground elk in a baking dish, cast iron skillet, or dutch oven. Cover the ground elk with cauliflower mash and set it to bake for 15 minutes @400°f .
- Take the Shepherd’s Pie from the oven and top it with a blend of raw unsalted cheddar and medium cheddar.
- Put it back in the oven to broil for a couple minutes to help crisp up the top and melt the cheese.
- Take it out and enjoy!
Meet The Chef
Ethan Torgersen is an avid outdoor cook and real food enthusiast. To combat IBS and stomach issues, Ethan has embraced a low carb diet and healthy lifestyle focused on eating nutrient dense foods and exercise. Check out Ethan’s latest cooking adventures HERE.