Recipe and photos courtesy of Kate Kordsmeier, Root and Revel
Fall is all about savory smells emanating from the kitchen. If you’re on a low carbohydrate or keto style diet, it can be a challenge to find recipes for fall classics without all the sugar and carbs. Past US Wellness Featured Chef Kate Kordsmeier of Root and Revel is up to the task with this delicious homemade low-carb beef stew.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 40 min
US Wellness Shopping List: Grass-fed Butter, Chuck Roast, Bone Broth
- 2 tablespoons organic, grass-fed butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 pound organic, grass-fed beef cubed (I recommend chuck roast cut)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 5 ounces mixed wild mushrooms
- 3 organic carrots sliced
- 1 cup organic green beans cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can organic diced tomatoes no salt added
- 1 cup diced potatoes OPTIONAL
- 2 organic, grass-fed beef marrow bones (can substitute 4 cups organic, grass-fed beef bone broth if preferred)
- 4 cups filtered water (omit if using bone broth instead of marrow bones)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
- red pepper flakes to taste (I used 1 Tbsp but my brand was not very spicy, so start with just 1/2-1 tsp to be safe)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chives + Parsley to garnish
Instructions For Low Carb Keto Beef Stew
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté and add the butter. Once hot, add the onion and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the beef cubes, season with salt and pepper, and brown on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute. Pour the red wine over top and use a wooden spatula to scrape up any browned bits.
- Turn the Instant Pot off and add the remaining ingredients. Screw on the lid and set to High Pressure, Manual for 15 minutes. Release steam when finished cooking. Remove the marrow bones, if using, and the bay leaves.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you don’t have an Instant Pot and would prefer to use a slow cooker, follow these instructions:
In a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, add the onion to avocado oil and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the beef cubes and brown on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Pour the red wine over top and use a wooden spatula to scrape up any browned bits.
Add the mixture to a crockpot with the remaining ingredients, except the garnish. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Garnish with herbs and vinegar. Serve and enjoy!
Meet The Chef
Kate Kordsmeier is an advocate for a healthy lifestyle and good nutrition. At her website, Root + Revel, Kate will empower you to live a more non-toxic life. Expect real food that tastes as good as it makes you feel. Deep dive into natural + holistic wellness topics, with a focus on hormones, gut + thyroid health. I’m living proof this natural lifestyle and healthy food heals!