Recipe and photos courtesy of Cheryl McColgan, US Wellness August 2021 Featured Chef
Keto Chicken Taco Salad is one of the easiest Mexican dishes to make low carb. Most versions don’t add rice or beans, two ingredients that aren’t good for keto Mexican food. Other traditional ingredients to avoid if you want to keep your Mexican food keto-friendly are corn, hominy, both types of tortillas and most mole sauces. Fortunately, there are pretty good keto-friendly substitutes for all of these!
For example, I simply sub in cauliflower rice for hominy in my keto Mexican Pozole. If you’re looking for rice, it’s cauliflower to the rescue again! It’s so easy to make keto taco salad that I almost hesitate to make it into a recipe. However, I know there are plenty of people out there that don’t cook as much as I do and need an exact plan to follow. It’s also nice to use this recipe because you know if you’re here, it’s absolutely keto-friendly!
Follow along with Cheryl’s cooking demo or recipe below.
Keto Chicken Taco Salad
Keto taco salad is a fantastic weeknight meal. It’s keto Mexican food that’s ready in under 30 minutes and still tastes delicious while being healthy too! Find the nutrition information at the end of the recipe.
Recipe By: August 2021 Featured Chef Cheryl McColgan | Heal Nourish Grow
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Servings: 2
- Calories: 842 kcal
USWM Shopping List: Chicken Thighs, Tallow or Lard
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or tallow or lard
- 1 pound chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 cup salsa
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce chopped
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 medium avocado mashed
- chipotle in adobo optional but adds so much flavor and spice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 medium poblano pepper can sub green, red, orange or yellow if preferred
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup cotija cheese or shredded Mexican blend
- 2 medium radish
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 medium lime
- 1 sheet CutDaCarb flat bread
- Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil(Coconut, Tallow, or Lard) in pan or skillet that has a lid over medium heat.
- Add chicken thighs and salsa.
- Allow to cook uncovered for about 3 minutes or until chicken starts to brown.
- Stir to coat the chicken thighs, reduce heat slightly and cover.
- Chop all of your toppings.
- If you’re doing the onions and peppers, sauté these over medium heat until soft.
- If you’re making the taco bowl: I love chips on the side but CutDaCarb wraps can easily be made into a taco bowl as well. You can use handy taco bowl forms or a regular oven-safe small bowl. Preheat your oven to 350, spray or rub both sides of the flatbread with a light coating of coconut oil, place and push the flatbread into the form or a bowl. Weight down to hold shape if needed. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until slightly golden and crisp.
- If you’re making the chips, follow video instructions (33 Minute Mark) cut as shown into triangles and cook about 15 seconds per side or until golden and crisp in your favorite cooking oil.
- Assemble your salad as desired or assemble everything in your taco bowl.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients. All carbs are from whole food sources.
Explore recipes and more on the Discover Blog.
Cheryl McColgan is the founder of Heal Nourish Grow, an ultimate wellness, nutrition, and lifestyle source. After a serious health challenge and being faced with the possibility of cancer, Cheryl shifted her focus to look even more closely at her health, life, and career. Her passion for teaching, gourmet cooking, travel, and a personal commitment to pursue ultimate wellness is what brought Heal Nourish Grow to life. As US Wellness Meats August 2021 Featured Chef, Cheryl has shared her delicious recipes. You can learn more about Cheryl on the Discover Blog and her blog, Heal Nourish Grow.