We are so thankful to April 2020 Featured Chef Monica Little for sharing delicious recipes with us. This time Monica shares a Instant Pot Unstuffed Cabbages recipe. This dish is packed with flavor and yummy ingredients like ground beef, chicken bone broth, and rice.
“This recipe has been on repeat for me for the last 3 weeks. I love how easy it is to make and that one batch will give 5-6 meals to last the entire week. Full of flavor and warmth and spices that just make you feel good!
This recipe is all about quality ingredients. I feel like I say that with each recipe, but the ingredients you put in can either make or break your recipe. So let’s talk through a couple key ingredients and why they are best used in this recipe!
100% grass finished ground beef from US Wellness Meats: US Wellness Meats is a great place to purchase your meat and poultry – you can trust the quality of anything you purchase from them, plus it gets delivered straight to you. Their beef is 100% grass finished. What does that mean?
Grass fed beef could have started on a grass diet but either received supplemental grain feed or are finished on a fully grain-based diet
Grass finished beef comes from cattle that ate nothing but grass and forage for their entire lives
Why is grass finished better? Grains are inflammatory and when our beef comes from cows that lived on an inflammatory grain diet, that inflammation can pass to us. Grass finished beef has so many more nutrients since the cows lived on their natural diet. But the best part is that you can TASTE the difference!
Homemade chicken bone broth: this is a game changer and adds so much flavor. I used to buy premade chicken bone broth in cartons from the grocery store, but I noticed 2 things: first, it’s kinda pricey and second, it’s SO diluted. Really, there’s no flavor at all, and I’m willing to bet it’s 85% water and 15% bone broth. Homemade chicken bone broth tastes so much better, has much more of the beneficial collage and ends up being cheaper, too!“
Instant Pot Unstuffed Cabbages
Recipe By: Monica Little, Plant Based Beauty
USWM Shopping List: Ground Beef, Chicken Bone Broth
1 pound grass finished ground beef from US Wellness Meats
1 small head of green cabbage, cut into half and core removed
3 large carrots, shredded
1/2 pound baby Bella mushrooms, sliced thin
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp avocado oil
2 cups chicken bone broth (Homemade Chicken Bone Broth Recipe)
1 jar of Sicilian gravy pasta sauce (25 oz)
4 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp coconut aminos
1 cup sprouted brown rice
2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
- Heat instant pot on Saute-Hot setting. Once hot, add in avocado oil, ground beef, mushrooms and onion. Break the ground beef using a wooden spoon and let everything cook for 5-7 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the chicken bone broth, tomato paste, coconut aminos, sea salt, garlic powder and paprika.
- Add garlic to instant pot and sauce for 30 seconds. Then add the liquid mixture to the instant pot and make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan to get all the flavor!
- Add in the tomato sauce, rice and shredded carrot and give everything a stir.
- Place the cabbage on top of everything (it doesn’t have to be immersed in the liquid) and close the instant pot. Set the pressure valve to the Sealing closed position. Press Manual Pressure and set it for 15 minutes on High. Turn the Keep Warm setting off.
- After the 15 minutes are done, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for another 15 minutes (this just means don’t touch the valve and leave the instant pot alone for 15 minutes). Then do a quick release – turn the valve from Sealing to Venting and let the remaining pressure release from the instant pot.
- It’s ready to eat! Enjoy a bowl with 1/2 of an avocado. Store leftovers in glass Tupperware containers in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for later.
Notes: Don’t have an instant pot? You can follow these same directions in a pot on the stovetop. Cut the cabbage into 1/2 inch strips instead. Add 1 cup of additional chicken stock. And at step 5, instead of setting the instant pot to pressure cook, just bring all the contents to a simmer on the stove top and cook until rice is tender, around 30-40 minutes.
Browse more recipes on our Discover Blog.
Meet the Chef
Monica Little is a true believer in food as medicine. She has a passion for healthy and flavorful whole food recipes that have helped her in healing from inflammation and hormone imbalances. Check out Plant Based Beauty for more recipes and skin care tips.