High in B12, B6, zinc, iron, higher in Vitamin A than any other food, helps with thyroid issues, low energy, detoxification, hormone balance…I could go on forever. Know what I’m talking about yet? You guessed it. Our oh-so-favorite offal — liver. Problem is, liver isn’t the easiest ingredient to work with. It’s mushy when it’s lightly cooked, it’s tough when it’s overcooked, and it’s really hard to get used to it if you’re new to the stuff. That’s where these hormone- balancing meatballs saved me. When I was trying to conceive, I knew liver would be a key ingredient to help both my body and my husband’s body get in the best shape possible. So I found a way to sneak it in our favorite meal – MEATBALLS! Mixed in with ground beef and an assortment of other delicious spices, you’d never know it was there. I highly recommend making a big batch and freezing them. At any point in time, you can toss them in a pan on low heat for 10 minutes and voila! Superfood powerhouse rolled up in one little ball.
Recipe Author: Stacey Hutson/Healthy Stacey
Paleo + Gluten Free
Servings: 45 Meatballs
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Photo Credit: Stacey Hutson/Healthy Stacey
- 2 Pounds Ground Beef Grass-Fed
- 1 Pound Ground Liver (just plop livers in the food processor and pulverize them until they’re one goopy blob)
- 3 Eggs Pasture-Raised
- 1/2 Onion Finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Coconut Oil
- 6 Cloves garlic Finely Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons basil leaves Fresh, Finely Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Walnuts Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon nutritional yeast Bragg’s brand
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Pepper Flakes
- 1 1/2Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce Naturally Fermented
Instructions For Hormone Balancing Meatballs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and set out three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt 1 teaspoon of coconut oil on the sauté pan and toss in onion; sauté for 5 minutes-ish.
- While that’s cooking, chop up garlic cloves, basil leaves and walnuts; Set aside.
- Set aside cooked onions and let cool to room temperature.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl.
- Stir in garlic, basil, walnuts, nutritional yeast, coconut flour and red chili pepper flakes.
- Pour mixture into beef and liver; Pour onions in separately.
- Get your hands in there and mix it all together.
- Roll mixture into 1 inch balls and place on parchment paper.
- Stick in oven for 10 minutes.
- Bonus: Once cooled, stick in freezer ON THE PAN to flash freeze your meatballs. Doing so will keep them in meatball shape so you can stuff them in freezer bags and have them on hand whenever you need them. Believe me, nothing is better than coming home to an empty fridge, and then remembering that you have delicious pre-made meatballs waiting for you in the freezer.
TO RE-HEAT: Warm in pan with a bit of coconut oil, bone broth and/or spaghetti sauce for approximately 10 minutes.
See Stacey’s complete Hormone Balancing Meatballs post on her blog!
Stacey Hutson is the creative energy behind HealthyStacey.com and USWM Featured Chef for December 2017. Stacey is a food writer, personal chef, and wellness coach with a passionate love for making healthy, nourishing foods. You’ll find a wide variety of flavors and textures in her food creations.