There are a variety of ways to make chorizo sausage. Some parts of the world prefer spicy with a lot of extra heat. Other cultures prefer a milder version.
The beauty of making your own chorizo sausage is that you can make it using the best ingredients without the fillers. Feel free to experiment with ground beef, ground pork, lamb or bison. Sean Coonce of Pastured Kitchen shares this Homemade Chorizo Sausage recipe. He’s chosen to use apple cider vinegar instead of wine and it’s a hit!
This is a super quick and easy recipe for a great tasting sausage.
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Total Time: 15 min
Recipe Author: Sean Coonce/Pastured Kitchen
USWM shopping list: Ground Pork, Ground Beef, Ground Lamb, Ground Bison, or Ground Turkey, Pork Lard
PHOTO CREDIT: Sean Coonce/Pastured Kitchen
- 3½ lbs ground beef, (ground pork, ground lamb, ground turkey or ground bison)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbs pork lard
- 3 tbs smoked paprika
- 2 tbs cayenne pepper
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs oregano
- 1 tsp coriander
- 4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
Instructions For Homemade Chorizo Sausage:
- Using your hands, combine all ingredients thoroughly in a large mixing bowl
- Stuff into casings using a sausage stuffer or leave loose and cook as you would ground beef.
- Place remaining chorizo in an airtight storage container and store for up to 3 days in the refrigerator
See Sean’s original recipe here.
Our thanks go out to Sean Coonce & Suzanne Robertson of Pastured Kitchen for sharing this recipe. Please visit Pastured Kitchen for many more mouthwatering recipes.