Pasture raised heirloom pork is not like the pork you’ll find in the grocery store. It really does make a difference in taste and nutritional quality. This recipe brings out the savory aroma and flavors of the heirloom pork belly. Prepare your senses for a delicious family meal. Featured Chef Danny Sterling shares this recipe for Herb Roasted Pork Belly.
Recipe Author: Danny Sterling | Cumberland Heritage
USWM Shopping List: Skin-On Pork Belly
For the cure:
- 4 lb USWM skin on pork belly
- 32 oz Sea Salt
- 1 cup chopped rosemary
- 1 cup of chopped thyme
- Cured pork belly
- 1 head of garlic (Sliced skin on)
- 3 shallots (Sliced, skin on)
- 10 sprigs of thyme
- 5 sprigs of rosemary
- 1/2 cup of sliced ginger
Instructions For Herb Roasted Pork Belly
- Start the night before by combining all of the ingredients (except for the pork) in a food processor. Evenly cover the pork belly and let sit in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
- Once 12 hrs are up, gently rinse the cure mixture off of the pork, then pat dry (it is very important to get all of the water off of the belly)
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F (if you have a convection oven use the same temp, it will just take less time)
- On a greased roasting rack (I like to use bacon fat for the rack) lay down the thyme and rosemary first to create a bed for the remaining ingredients. Lay out the remaining ingredients to mock the shape of the pork belly.
- Lay the pork belly on top of the herb mixture Skin side facing up and place in the oven.
- Cook for 2 ½ – 3 hours until the skin is crispy and you can stick a fork through the meat with little resistance.
- Once cooked let rest for 15-25 minutes.
- After resting transfer to a cutting board and remove the herbs, ginger, garlic and shallot on the underside of the belly.
- Slice thinly (with a bread knife) and serve.
Meet The Chef:
Chef Danny Sterling and his wife Julia are the proprietors of Cumberland Heritage Co. Danny specializes in developing recipes and preparing healthy, nutritious, ancestral foods. The husband/wife duo are also available for nutrition consulting and private events.