Liver is a superfood; yep, I said it.
One of our favorite things to get from US Wellness Meats is their pasture-raised chicken livers. When our last delivery arrived, I went to work making this delicious, herbaceous, buttery liver pâté.
Not only is it delicious, but it’s also a super nourishing food for the whole family, especially as one of Indie’s first foods. Liver from pastured chickens provides significant amounts of folate, iron, vitamin B, vitamin A, and copper. And it’s been a REAL hit for our tiniest eater.
I shared more over on social media (see that fun video here), and the response was clear. Many of you are looking to get this superfood into your diet too (and into your kiddos’ bellies, of course)!
Give this one a go. It’s surprisingly simple, oh so delicious, and deeply nourishing too!
We think it tastes best on a slice of home baked sourdough.
Happy superfood eating, friends.
Herb Butter Pâté Recipe
Recipe By: Laura Bruner | My Radical Roots
Time: 15 minutes
USWM Shopping List: Chicken Livers, Butter
- 1/2 pound pasture-raised chicken livers, well-trimmed
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon, fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- In a medium saucepan, combine the livers, onion, garlic, bay leaf, sage, thyme, rosemary, and 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt.
- Add the water and bring to a simmer.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer until the livers are barely pink inside, about 3 minutes (stir once or twice).
- Remove from the heat, keep covered, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf, and transfer the livers, onion, garlic, and herbs to a food processor; then, process until coarsely pureed.
- With processor going, add the butter, a bit at a time, until incorporated. Add salt to taste and continue to process until completely smooth.
- Scrape the pâté into 2 or 3 large ramekins. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pâté and refrigerate until firm.
- Serve chilled.
ENJOY spread on sourdough bread, focaccia, crackers, or apple slices!
Indie eats it right off the spoon, and I LOVE it on sandwiches too.
Explore recipes and more on the Discover Blog.