Featured Chef Amanda Love shares this meaty beef stew with loads of gut healing ingredients. This one is guaranteed to warm your belly and comfort your soul. Enjoy the savory flavors of 100% grass-fed beef!
Recipe Author: Amanda Love | The Barefoot Cook
USWM Shopping List: Beef Shanks, Marrow Bones, Stew Meat, Butter, Ghee, Beef Tallow
PHOTO CREDIT: Amanda Love | The Barefoot Cook
- 5 pounds beef shanks with marrow bone or stew meat
- good salt and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter, ghee or coconut oil, lard, beef tallow or fat of choice
- 4 quarts filtered water (16 cups or 1 gallon), plus additional if necessary
- 1 tablespoon good salt, more if desired
- 1 medium white onion, medium diced (about 2¼ cups)
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into ½” rounds (about 2 cups)
- ¾ pound green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1” pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1½ pound celery root, peeled, cut into ½“ cubes (about 4 cups) or 4 celery stalks
- 2 cups chopped any additional veggie you wish to add
Herbs to taste such as parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (optional), minced
Instructions For Hearty Winter Beef Stew
- Season meat on all sides liberally with salt and pepper. Heat a heavy-bottomed pot with fat of choice until very hot but not smoking. Place meat in pot and sear until browned, or about 5 minutes for each side.
- Pour water and salt over the meat and partially cover with lid. Skim beef scum occasionally throughout cooking. Simmer 4–5 hours at low heat until meat is very tender and falling apart. Add more water if the level appears low.
- Once meat is tender, remove from pot. Let cool and extract marrow from bones. Separate and discard connective tissue. Break meat into small pieces with tongs and fork or fingers.
- Bring broth to a simmer. Add onion, carrots, green beans, celery root and any additional veggies and cook until fork tender, about 15–20 minutes.
- 5. Decrease heat to low and return meat and marrow to pot. Season to taste with additional salt, pepper and herbs of your choosing.
Meet The Chef
Amanda Love has 20 years experience as a holistic nutrition expert and real food chef. Her passion is rejuvenating body, mind and home for a well-balanced life and a happy, healthy baby. Visit Amanda at www.amandalove.com