Recipe & Photo courtesy of Marla Sarris
This is one of those versatile recipes that can serve as a main course or as a wonderful complement. Use larger portobello mushroom caps for the main or smaller for a side. Either way, it’s guaranteed to please even the most particular gourmet food lover.
Most kitchens will likely have the items needed for this dish, but a quick stop by the local farmer’s market will fill the list if the cupboard is found wanting. You’ll want to find some fresh portobello mushrooms sized appropriately. Pasture raised ground pork adds a tremendous flavor and nutrition to this dish.
US Wellness Shopping List: Ground Pork
- 1lb ground pork
- 2 garlic scapes, sliced (if in season), green onions or chives otherwise
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, to taste
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- coarse ground sea salt, to taste
- coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- ground thyme, to taste
- herbs de province, to taste
- pinch of cinnamon
- 3 portobello mushrooms
Instructions For Ground Pork Mushroom Caps
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl add all ingredients to the ground pork except the mushroom caps. Stir to combine until seasonings are evenly spread among the meat.
- Remove the stem from each of the mushrooms and place them in a large glass baking dish.
- Scoop the ground pork mixture into even mounds on top of each mushroom cap until all the meat is used. Gently pack mixture together on the mushroom cap.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and transfer to the broiler for 1-2 minutes, to char the top.
- Serve with a side of garlic mashed cauliflower and a salad or your favorite vegetable.
- Enjoy! 🙂
For more great recipes, check out our Discover Blog.
Meet Marla Sarris! Marla is the passionate mastermind behind the popular food blog Paleo Porn. After discovering Paleo in 2009, she refined her self taught culinary skills and lost over 60 lbs in the pursuit of improved health. Visit Marla’s blog to learn more about her Paleo journey and discover even more delicious recipes.