This gorgeous, slow roasted beef brisket is as delicious as it is beautiful. Pair this dish with your favorite sides and you have a gourmet meal made right in your own kitchen.
Total Time: 8 hours, cook and prep time
USWM Shopping List: Brisket Point, Ghee or Beef Tallow, Bone Broth
PHOTO CREDIT: Danny & Julia Sterling | Cumberland Heritage Co.
- 1 each Brisket point (about 2-2.5lbs)
- 2 Tbsp clarified butter or beef tallow
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 large onion, cut in thin strips
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, Smashed
- 1 whole tomato diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups bone broth
- Pre heat oven to 300°
- Season Brisket with salt and pepper, sear in a cast iron pan with clarified butter or beef tallow on high heat until nice crust is formed. (if serving immediately after braise is finished you can grill the beef first to achieve the smoke flavor, instead of searing)
- Remove brisket and add to small braising pan. In a separate pan start bringing beef broth to a boil.
- Add carrots, onion, and celery to cast iron that you seared the brisket in to release any fond from the pan.
- Once the vegetables have been browned add the tomatoes and cook until dry.
- Add vegetable mixture and boiling beef broth to braising pan with brisket. Cover braising dish with lid, parchment paper, or foil.
- Cook in oven for 4-5 hours or until just tender (timing will depend on brisket thickness)
- Once cooked, cool in refrigerator over night (or serve immediately if not grilling)
- Remove brisket from broth and reserve, bring broth up to a boil, strain, and reduce until thick jus consistency.
- On a hot section of a charcoal grill mark the brisket on one side, then flip and move to a cooler part of the grill to continue to heat through.
- Glaze beef with thick jus, slice and serve.
Meet The Chef:
Chef Danny Sterling and his wife Julia are the proprietors of Cumberland Heritage Co. Danny specializes in developing recipes and preparing healthy, nutritious, ancestral foods. The husband/wife duo are also available for nutrition consulting and private events.