Biscuits are such a fun part of life! They bring forth childhood memories and serve as an invitation to gather around the breakfast table. As we learn more about nutrition, many of us steer clear of bread and biscuits. Luckily for us, our December 2022 Featured Chef Amy Slater has developed a nourishing biscuit recipe with gluten-free flour and grass-fed tallow and butter.
As a Functional Nutritionist and Movement Coach, Amy works with moms to sustain their energy and enhance their ability to participate with their children. This Drop Biscuit recipe supports a holistic lifestyle, encouraging tasty, fun family mealtimes. Give it a go!
Gluten-Free Drop Biscuits with Beef Tallow
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- ¼ cup potato starch
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp unsalted grass-fed butter, chilled and diced
- 4 Tbsp grass-fed beef tallow, chilled and diced
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add dry ingredients and combine well.
- Add the chilled, diced butter and tallow and combine with the dry ingredients until just mixed using two forks, raking the flour together until it forms a small crumb.
- Make a well in the center of the above ingredients, add buttermilk, and mix until well combined.
- Working quickly, before the dough gets warm, drop the batter using 2 large spoons or a 2” ice cream scoop onto the prepared baking sheet leaving about 1 ½ inch of space in between scoops. Do not tightly pack the dough into the scoop.
- Place the baking sheet onto the center rack of the preheated oven and bake until golden brown. Approximately 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let them set up briefly before serving.
Nourish your body with delicious recipes, and find expert advice on the Discover Blog!