Taco Tuesday…. Summer Edition! Warm weather is fast approaching and we have the perfect recipe for a backyard meal. Kate Kordsmeier’s Baja Fish Tacos with Avocado Crema and Chipotle Slaw will welcome Summer in a delicious way! A special thank you to Kate for sharing this recipe with us.
“Crispy, crunchy and savory baja fish tacos that are also healthy and gluten free? Yes! It IS possible to make lightened up, real food fried tacos that make for a perfect summer meal. In this recipe, we’ll show you how it’s done, complete with easy-to-make Avocado Crema sauce + Chipotle Coleslaw.”
Baja Fish Tacos with Avocado Crema and Chipotle Slaw
Recipe By: Kate Kordsmeier | Root + Revel
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
USWM Shopping List: Ghee, Halibut or Cod
- 2 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Paleo Mayo Chipotle flavor
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon raw organic coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup organic red wine vinegar
- 2 cups organic pre-chopped slaw
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers diced
- 1/4 organic sour cream
- 1 large avocado pit removed
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tablespoon organic chile powder
- 1 tablespoon organic cumin
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large organic egg
- 1/2 cup organic cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon organic cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon organic paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 fillets wild-caught white fish, halved (I recommend cod or halibut)
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- 8 organic corn tortillas
- Garnish: fresh cilantro, lime juice
- In a large glass bowl, combine mayo, salt, sugar and vinegar. Whisk until combined. Add slaw, onion and jalapeno and toss to mix. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients. Pulse until smooth; season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small glass bowl, beat the egg. In a shallow glass dish, combine cornmeal, cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper; use a fork to mix well. Dip the fish into the egg mixture, shaking to remove excess. Thoroughly coat in the cornmeal mixture. Set aside and repeat until all the fish has been battered.
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt ghee over medium-high heat. Add battered fish and cook until crispy, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat until all fish have been cooked; careful not to overcrowd the pan.
To assemble: Heat your corn tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add a dollop of avocado crema and spread into a thin layer. Top with crispy fish and chipotle slaw. Garnish with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve and enjoy!
Visit the Discover Blog for recipes and more!
Meet The Chef
Kate Kordsmeier is an advocate for a healthy lifestyle and good nutrition. At her website, Root + Revel, Kate will empower you to live a more non-toxic life. Expect real food that tastes as good as it makes you feel. Deep dive into natural + holistic wellness topics, with a focus on hormones, gut + thyroid health. I’m living proof this natural lifestyle and healthy food heals!