For those of you who enjoy offal or are interested in giving offal a try, September 2020 Featured Chef Tim Ganley has the perfect recipes! Today on the blog, Tim shares his French Kiss Soup recipe. This recipe may be for the adventurous, but it is loaded with essential vitamins and minerals. We encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and give this recipe a try!
“I was inspired by a 95 year old lady on the island of Aegina, in Greece. A couple of years ago Vie and I ate at her son’s restaurant and that was the special of the night. That evening she showed me how to properly cook beef tongue.
Until that time, I could never get it to be tender enough. And I now know why. She would take almost 24 hours to cook it. However, using the Instant Pot, I can now make it as tender as hers in just a couple of hours.”
French Kiss Soup
Recipe By: Tim Ganley | Spartan Mind Strength
Servings: 2-4 (depending on the size of the tongue)
USWM Shopping List: Beef Tongue
- 1 beef tongue from USWM
- 1 can of Goya organic black beans
- 1 small can of La Preferida organic mild green chili peppers
- 2 medium size organic fresh tomatoes diced
- 2 medium size organic onions
- 6 to 7 pieces of organic garlic cloves
- 1 carton of fresh organic mushrooms (diced)
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Freshly ground organic black pepper to taste
- Organic ground cumin to taste (about 1/4 of teaspoon)
- Extra virgin olive oil from our favorite olive oil hunter at Fresh Pressed Olive Oil Club
- Fresh organic cilantro to taste
- 1-2 organic lemons
- Kerrygold unsalted butter
- Freshly grated Parmesan and / or Romano (optional)
- Place the beef tongue in the Instant Pot with 3 cups of water.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of cumin, about 1/4 teaspoon of Himalayan salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook for about 1hr 40min.
- During this time, peel and cut the onions and garlic, and dice the mushrooms.
- Sautee on low heat, in about two tablespoons of butter on a cast iron skillet.
- When the onions and garlic become opaque, add the finely diced tomatoes, the drained can of mild chili peppers, salt and pepper, and cook for another 3-5 minutes on low heat.
- Once the pressure has been naturally released from the Instant Pot, let it cool down until the tongue is cool enough to work with.
- Peel the skin off the tongue and feed it to your puppy or your neighbor’s puppy (they love it!)
- Dice the tongue into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Transfer the fresh tongue broth from the Instant Pot into another cooking pot.
- Place the tongue cubes, the cast iron skillet medley, and the can of drained beans into the pot with the broth.
- Let it simmer on very low heat for another 1hr 30min to 2hrs to allow the flavors to magically combine.
- Stir every 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place in a bowl, and add a little more salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan and / or Romano cheese
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and squeeze half a lemon.
- Last but not least, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil from our favorite Olive Oil Hunter at Fresh Pressed Olive Oil Club.
The Ayurvedic Point of View
“The old Ayurvedic texts recommend meat soup for multiple health benefits. They also advocate a nutrient dense and nutrient diverse diet, utilizing everything your environment is giving you to the fullest. Think nose to tail when it comes to food. This particular recipe is also crafted to contain all six tastes (sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter and astringent), which Ayurveda says is one of the best things you can do for your emotional well-being. This dish is truly soup for the soul.”
Tim Ganley, a former law enforcement officer and SWAT Leader/Trainer, is a lifestyle entrepreneur, outdoor adventurer, author and global teacher of Meditation, Breathwork, Spartan Fitness™, Power Yin™, and Conscious Business. He loves experimenting with disciplines that lead to physical and mental strength and endurance. Where there is Tim, there is also Vie. These two are quite the dynamic duo. You can learn more about Tim and Vie on Spartan Mind Strength, The Paleo Ayurveda & Spartan Yoga Podcast, or their YouTube channel AskTimAndVie.