This is an absolutely delicious anytime dish. It comes together simply and takes care of itself while it cooks.
Eggs With Shrimp Recipe Author: Willard R.
5 qt. slow cooker
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 2 to 3 hours
US Wellness Meats Shopping List: Grass-fed Unsalted Butter, Wild-Caught Shrimp
PHOTO CREDIT: Stock The Crock/© 2017 Oxmoor House
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery leaves
- 12 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 4 ounces small shrimp (about 31 to 40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Instructions for Eggs with Shrimp:
- Grease the interior of a baking dish that will fit into a 5-quart slow cooker crock with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- Microwave the butter, onion, and celery leaves for 1 1⁄2 minutes on High in a microwave-safe bowl. Set aside.
- In a good-size bowl, stir together the eggs and evaporated milk. When well blended, stir in the shrimp, white wine, peas, salt, pepper, and microwaved butter and vegetables. Stir together gently.
- Spoon into the greased baking dish. Set the dish into the slow cooker crock.
- Add 1⁄2 inch of water to the crock, surrounding the baking dish. Be careful not to get any water in the egg mixture.
- Cover the crock. Cook on Low 2 to 3 hours, or until the egg mixture is set but not dry. (After 2 hours, cook in 15-minute increments until the eggs are set, if necessary.)
- Use oven mitts to lift out the baking dish from the crock. Let it stand for 10 minutes before serving.
TIP: You can use frozen shrimp. Lay them out in a single layer to thaw as you mix up the other ingredients. Stir them in when you’re ready, even if they’re not fully thawed. If you do that, you may need to cook the dish 15 minutes or so longer, but begin checking after 2 hours on Low.
Make It Gluten-free: Check the label to ensure you are using gluten-free evaporated milk.
Make It Paleo-Friendly: Use wild-caught shrimp and eggs from chickens that are pasture-raised. Take out the peas and add broccoli.
Excerpted from Stock the Crock by Phyllis Good. Copyright © 2017 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from Time Inc. Books, a division of Time Inc. New York, NY. All rights reserved.