The practice of food combining has centuries-old roots that consider how blending different categories of foods impacts your digestion, health, and nutrition.
Although most of us won’t delve into the world of the Ayurvedic or Macrobiotic diet, we may want to learn how to add vegetables to our daily meals for better health, especially when avoiding carbs, processed foods, and sugars.
Adding Vegetables to Your Meat-Based Diet
High carbohydrate diets are becoming less popular as the benefits of a 100% grass-fed meat diet become more well-known. Every year thousands of people who adopt a mostly meat-based diet experience positive health changes including the reversal of skin problems, diabetes, digestive issues, inflammation, and hormonal imbalance. However, people may miss eating vegetables for many reasons including the taste, fiber, nutrients, and that crispy crunch.
What are the Best Vegetable Choices?
When following a clean, high-protein diet, the best organic vegetables are normally those that are considered low-glycemic. This means the vegetables are higher in protein and fiber and lower in natural sugars. When adding non-starchy vegetables to your US Wellness 100% grass-fed beef, pork, and pasture-raised chicken diet, think greens!
- Spinach: 57% protein
- Bok choy: 56% protein
- Asparagus: 53% protein
- Mushrooms: 52% protein
- Collard greens: 45% protein
- Kale: 43% protein
- Arugula: 42% protein
- Romaine lettuce: 40% protein
- Turnip greens: 40% protein
- Brussels sprouts: 38% protein
Tasty Tips for Combining Foods
- Kick it up with kabobs! Peppers, onions, and mushrooms are all low-carb ways to add vegetables to your diet. US Wellness Meats carry a variety of precut premium meats like pork, lamb, and beef that are perfect for making kabobs.
- Grab the crock pot. It’s crockpot season and who doesn’t like a good soup or stew? Skip the carrots and root vegetables for a lower carb count. Instead, add onion, spinach, celery, and mushrooms. A US Wellness pre-seasoned, fully-cooked beef roast or pork roast with vegetables and our 100% grass-fed bone broth takes only a few minutes to put together in your Instant Pot and will be a deliciously warm welcome home when you are busy on those chilly days.
- Tuck it in. Lasagna made with ground meats and spinach is a tasty choice and a great way to get your greens and stretch food dollars. Experiment with cabbage rolls and stuffed peppers, or throw together a chopped romaine and kale steak salad.
- Meatloaf, meatballs, and more! You don’t need mashed potatoes and pasta to enjoy meatloaf or meatballs. Zucchini spaghetti is a great substitute for pasta. Add some cooked spinach to your meatball mix. Just skip the breadcrumbs, throw in some diced onion, and you’ll be ready to roll.
- Wok your way to better health! Stir fry is a great way to assemble low-carb meals quickly. Greens like Bok choy and onions with spices and organic sesame oil make for a fresh, low-carb meal in minutes.
Fall into Healthy Eating
The colder months are all about comfort food- and much of it! Simple tweaks are all you need to add vegetables to your meat-based diet and serve up your family favorites this coming holiday season. Visit US Wellness Meats, dust off your slow cooker, and get inspired!