Easy Popcorn Chicken is a surefire way to guarantee happy kids and adults alike. This crispy, crunchy, especially mouthwatering recipe from our May 2023 Featured Chef, Bill Harlow, will certainly bring delight to any meal. Follow along with Bill’s recipe below and bring a little joy into your weeknight!
Easy Popcorn Chicken
Recipe by: Bill Harlow | @cookwithbill
USWM Shopping List: Chicken Tenderloins, All Purpose Seasoning, USWM Tallows or Fats
• 1lb chicken tenderloins
• 3 tablespoons of BBQ or all-purpose seasoning (separated)
• 1/3 & ¼ cup flour (separated)
• ½ cup cornstarch
• 4 oz water
• 1 egg
• Peanut oil (*USWM frying suggestion tallow or lard)
- Cut tenderloins into bite-size pieces.
- Place in a bowl, add 2 tbsp of bbq or all-purpose seasoning and toss. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for 2 hours.
- Mix 1/3 cup of flour, 4 oz water, and 1 egg in a bowl. Cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Mix ½ cup cornstarch, ¼ cup four, and the remaining bbq mix in a bowl.
- Heat oil, tallow, or lard to 350 degrees F.
- Add chicken to wet batter. Toss until well mixed. Add mixture to dry batter. Toss and squeeze chicken until well battered.
- Add chicken to hot oil in batches, do not crowd the pan. Cook for 3 minutes. Place chicken on a cooling rack. Add batches once the temperature of the oil returns to 350 degrees F. Complete cooking of chicken.
- Once oil returns to 350 degrees F, add chicken in batches and cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Return to cooling rack.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Visit our Discover Blog for more tasty recipes by Bill!