November Featured Chef Ashleigh VanHouten is always providing us with offal recipe inspiration. This time Ashleigh shares her Easy Grilled Beef Heart Recipe. Like most organ meats, beef heart is packed with essential vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin B2, B6, and B12. It is also rich in folate, iron, and zinc. Even if organ meat dishes aren’t your norm, have a little adventure and give this recipe a try! You may find that along with being nutritious it is delicious.
Easy Grilled Beef Heart
Recipe And Photo By: Ashleigh VanHouten
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes (plus overnight marinate)
Yield: 3-4 servings
USWM Shopping List: Beef Heart
- 12 ounces Beef Heart
For the marinade:
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- pepper, cayenne, to taste
- segments of lime for garnish/finishing
1. To prepare heart, remove the gristle and sinews in the cavity by slicing them away. Cut the heart into 1-inch cubes.
2. Place the cubes of heart into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add all the ingredients for the marinade and mix well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
3. Skewer the meat, about 4 to 5 cubes per skewer. Grill over high heat until slightly charred on the surface and rare to medium-rare inside, about 4-5 minutes. Turn the skewers over mid-way. Serve immediately, with some coarse sea salt and lime to finish.
Visit our Discover Blog for more recipe inspiration!
Ashleigh VanHouten is an author, speaker, podcast host, and self-proclaimed muscle nerd. Her first book, a nose-to-tail, organ-meat-centric cookbook called It Takes Guts, is available online and in stores. As the host of The Muscle Maven Radio podcast, she interviews some of the leading minds in exercise and nutrition methodology and overall wellness. She also works as a consultant in the fitness industry to help others build their brand and communicate their messages to the world. In her downtime, Ashleigh is a nationally ranked natural figure competitor, and she dabbles in powerlifting, arm wrestling, and BJJ. However, her biggest hobby is trying to convince people to eat organ meat!