Featured Chef Carley Smith shares this Duck Broth recipe at just the right time. There’s not much better for a healthy gut/immune system and to fight colds and flu than a big batch of broth. One of Carley’s passions is to help people gain the knowledge necessary to build up immunity through eating nutrient rich, gut friendly foods.
Recipe Author: Carley Smith/Fairy Gutmother
US Wellness Meats Shopping List: Whole Duck
PHOTO CREDIT: Carley Smith/Fairy Gutmother
- 1 Oven Roasted Duck Carcass
- Duck neck
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped with skins on
- 4 bay leaves
- 6-8 black peppercorns
- Sea salt to taste
- ½ orange (optional)
Instructions for Duck Broth:
- Place carcass in slow cooker and add in veggies and additional fix-ins.
- Cover with filtered water until about 2-inches from top of pot. Set on low for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
- When ready, remove from heat and strain into storage containers or jars.
- From here, you can sip on throughout the day or incorporate broth into various soups and other dishes. Enjoy!
Meet The Recipe Author:
Carley Smith, aka The Fairy Gutmother, is a Nutritional Therapist and Certified GAPS Practitioner with a passion for helping others improve their gut & immune health. Carley was diagnosed with Lyme disease and practiced the ancient art of healing through food. Please visit Carley’s Featured Chef page and Fairy Gutmother for more information.