In blows another midwest snowstorm, out flows another recipe that will warm you from the inside out! A family delight, Primal Palate’s Duck a l’Orange is prepared with free-range Muscovy Duck, hearty duck fat, nourishing chicken stock, and a host of nutrient-dense veggies. With a bit of prep work and an oven at 475°F, this Duck a l’Orange will have your home boasting a delightful aroma that will have your stomach growling with excitement. Bill and Hayley, you’ve done it once again! Thanks for sharing your food creations with us and for encouraging others to cook healthy meals from home.
Duck a l’Orange
Recipe & Photos by: Bill and Hayley | Primal Palate
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
- 5 lb. Duck, whole roasted with skin
- 2 Tbsp. Duck Fat
- 1/2 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Onions, cut into large chunks
- 5 Carrots, rinsed and cut into chunks
- 1 head Celery, cut into chunks
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Coriander, ground
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 3 sprigs Thyme
- 3 sprigs Parsley
- 1 Orange, quartered
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees, and place rack in the middle position.
- Place carrot, celery, and onion in the bottom of a large roasting pan or dutch oven.
- Rinse duck under cool water, being sure to rinse out the body cavity as well.
- Pat entire duck dry, including the body cavity.
- Rub duck with duck fat, inside and out.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over entire duck, including the body cavity.
- Rub duck with spice mixture.
- Place a few chunks of onion, celery, and carrot inside the duck, leaving room for the herbs and orange.
- Stuff duck with the fresh herbs, and half of the orange-cut into quarters.
- Place duck over the vegetables in the roasting pan, and roast for 30 minutes at 475°F.
- After 30 minutes, pour chicken stock and the juice of half the orange over the vegetables in the bottom of the pan, and turn oven down to 350°F.
- Roast duck until thermometer reads 170°F in the thigh, about 1 to 1 1/4 hours more.
- Remove duck from oven, allow to rest for 15 minutes, carve, and serve.
Browse the Discover Blog for more nutrition-packed recipes and kitchen tips!
Thanks to our friends Hayley and Bill at Primal Palate for sharing their recipe. Find more delicious recipes at PrimalPalate.com. If you’d like to spice up your recipes with more delicious Primal Palate seasonings, we’ve got a variety to choose from. We also carry their Organic Seasonings Mixes: French Onion Mix, Garden Ranch, and Taco & Fajita.