This is a super easy Mexican soup recipe. It’s packed with flavor, very filling, and makes a TON. This recipe is also great for large groups and freezer friendly as well! Next time you’re looking for something to feed a crowd, try this fabulous recipe from our November 2018 Featured Chefs, Polly Conner and Rachel Tiemeyer of Thriving Home.
Author: Polly Conner & Rachel Tiemeyer of Thriving Home
US Wellness Meats Shopping List: 85% Lean Ground Beef (or substitute Ground Chicken or Ground Turkey)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hrs
Total Time: 2 hrs 15 minutes
PHOTO CREDIT: Crowd Pleaser Mexican Soup from Thriving Home
- 2 lbs of lean ground beef (or sub ground chicken)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt (or sub garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 package dry ranch dressing mix or make your own ranch dip
- 2-3 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning
- 2 15 oz cans Rotel (or two 15 oz cans of petite diced tomatoes and two 4 oz cans of chopped green chilies
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans shoe peg white corn
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans
- 1 15 oz can ranch beans (or sub 1 can pinto beans)
- 2 cups of water
- Brown meat and onion on medium/high heat until beef is cooked thoroughly. Add garlic salt and cumin while browning the meat.
- Add all ingredients, including meat mixture into a large pot. (Don’t even drain the beans.) Just dump it all in!
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- Optional: serve with shredded cheese and tortilla chips
Slow Cooker Instructions:
Brown the meat with onions according to directions. Add the meat mixture plus all other ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Freezer Meal Directions:
Fully cook the soup, let it cool completely, and freeze in a BPA-free gallon freezer bag or other air-tight freezable container for up to 3 months.
Either thaw in the fridge overnight and warm up or warm on the stovetop over low heat. You can also put it in the crock pot from frozen, stirring periodically.
Since this recipe uses a lot of canned food items, be sure to look for brands that are BPA-free.
Meet The Chef
Polly Conner & Rachel Tiemeyer are moms, friends and bloggers at Thriving Home, and cookbook authors of From Freezer To Table. They are self-described “Freezer Cooking Evangelists” and love to share how to make freezer cooking a lifestyle. Visit Thriving Home for more simple, healthy, family-friendly recipes.