It’s no secret that I’m a fan of food projects and recipes that utilize the slow cooked method. Whether it’s in the oven while making fall off the bone tender meat dishes, on the smoker or even in the slow cooker, there’s just something that is magical to me about cooking through the day. I’ve also been a fan of duck and because it’s a tougher bird than chicken, it’s the perfect candidate for a crispy slow cooked duck recipe.
I’ve braised duck wings and then fried them in duck fat in the past but this time I wanted to use the instant pot to cook the duck along with some root vegetables and then roast it all in the oven to get it really crispy. The end result is a perfectly crispy slow cooked duck with root vegetables.
Primal Palate Seasonings Make This Free Range Duck An Amazing Taste Sensation
This time around, I decided to try out the BBQ Rub from the Primal Palate spice line. Suz and I are huge fans of the Meat and Potatoes blend. We use that stuff pretty much on everything. Using the BBQ Rub for this crispy slow cooked duck was a real winner too. The only other seasoning added to the dish was some extra sea salt and pepper. I love this method for cooking free range duck and I’m sure to use it many times over in the future. The completely tender duck meat combined with the crispness of the skin and vegetables from the oven is definitely the way to go for duck.
PREP TIME: 30 Minutes
COOK TIME: 12 Hours
TOTAL TIME: 12 Hrs 30 Min
- 1 whole free range duck, quartered
- 4-5 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 1lb butternut squash, cubed
- 1 head garlic, cut in half lengthwise and peeled
- 1 onion, sliced into half moon rings
- 2 tbs Primal Palate BBQ Rub
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- Season duck quarters on all sides with salt, pepper and BBQ rub and set aside.
- Line the bottom of your slow cooker or Instant Pot with root vegetables, onion and garlic. Add water to crock pot. This will help avoid scorching when cooking starts. Place duck quarters on top of root vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours.
- When ready, preheat oven to 400° F (205° C)
- Remove duck quarters and root vegetables from crock pot and place in a foil lined baking sheet or roasting pan and roast until skin on the duck is crispy. About 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve duck over root veggies.